Virtual Reality Questions

Hello, I’m working on a school project and I’d like to use a VR headset in order to simulate something I’m working on. I have looked into a few different VR headsets and have compiled a small list of questions while researching:

1. Firstly, the Quest Pro seems to have all the specs I need, but I’m having trouble finding Unreal Engine documentation on the Quest Pro specifically. I see documentation for Quest and Quest 2, but Quest Pro seems to be nonexistent. Is the Quest Pro compatible with Unreal Engine 5?

2. In addition, my project would ideally be using Nanite and Lumen. I found that Quest recently began supporting Unreal Engine 5, but that it specifically did not support Nanite or Lumen. However, I have found some YouTube videos of people using Quest headsets and Nanite/Lumen. Can the Oculus Pro support Nanite and Lumen?

3. Lastly, one of the main reasons I picked Oculus is that it is standalone, and my project requires the use of only the VR headset without a computer anywhere nearby. I have found tutorials on how to get started with VR headsets in Unreal Engine, but I have not found any documentation on building the game TO the headset so that my Unreal Engine project can be run anywhere, even without connection to a PC. What is the process behind this?

I’m sure the answers to these questions are out there, but I seem to have an inability to search for the relevant information at the moment. Please don’t hesitate to drop a comment if you sense that I am having some confusion.

1. In my Experience, Lumen is not recommended for VR project. Especially the project for mobile device. Lumen comsumes lots of VRAM and GPU power.

2. Oculus Pro use Android 10. So you’d better to set target platform to Android.

Hello Cheif,

1. Deploying to the Quest Pro should be the same as deploying to Quest 1/2. All are compatible with UE5. Unless you’re using AR Passthrough or Eye/Face tracking I think it would be most reasonable to get a Quest 2.

2 and 3 are conflicting questions. Lumen and Nanite mostly work with high-end GPUs in PC VR. But are out of the question for standalone.

As for the process behind deploying to the headset - you’d be installing/using tools for Android development. Setup Docs

Good luck!

1 Like

I see, thank you. Do you know of any current standalone VR headsets on the market that are compatible with Nanite and Lumen without streaming from a PC?

You’re welcome.

All standalone headsets use a mobile os (probably android) and Lumen/Nanite simply doesn’t work on mobile.

Although if strapping a high-end laptop to your back counts as ‘standalone’ that could be a path forward.

I see now, that makes sense. I don’t have the access to a high-end laptop, but I do have access to high-end GPUs.

Would it be feasible to externally connect a GPU to a standard laptop and stream it that way? Would a standard laptop’s CPU bottleneck anything? If this could realistically stream the application to the VR headset with Nanite and Lumen at a nice framerate, this may be the way for me to go.

I think in most cases the GPU would be the bottleneck, so using an external GPU on a laptop should work well for streaming to the HMD.

There’s some recommendations for wifi/router setup on the Oculus site.

Perfect. Thank you for all of your help.