Virtual keyboard Widget

Hi there. Maybe I’m not looking in the right places but I cant seem to find a proper tutorial or anything related to this porcess. What I have is a 3d model of a keyboard for the player to just walk up and interact with. What I’m trying to do is have it so when they click on the keyboard, it opens a widget with a white space where whatever letters they type show up in the field box. If it goes over a specific number of spaces or is the wrong word then a sort of “wrong” alarm will sound. Right now, I’m just trying to figure out how to let the player type something. Any advice is welcome.

You would have to make a widget made up of many components, each with their own event (Full Keyboard) .

On Click, Spawn widget to screen, go from there. Enable Mouse, Click Event, etc, then run your scripting.

Show your work for more help.

Regards

You can do this in 2 ways, both using widgets.

You will need to make a new widget full of buttons and make it look like a keyboard. then place the widget in the UI, or 3D if you want it 3D, next you will have to either enable the mouse to interact with the keyboard or you will need line tracing. Then, you will have to create w letter counter and -letters variable, if the counted letters exceed the -letter variable, you can play the sound you want, and show the message you want.

You can find a lot of videos showing how to create an interact-able widget using mouse and line tracing.

All you need to figure out is programming how each button will reflect a letter and show it in the textbox + when the number of letters exceeds your -letter variable or the word is incorrect → play sound or do some custom events.

I hope this will answer will guide you on the logic of how you can do your virtual keyboard :slight_smile: if not, you can ask me more about this.

I’m sure you’ve already dealt with this, but for anyone looking for a virtual keyboard solution in the future…here’s one I recently published. One step implementation :slight_smile: