Virtual Keyboard is dismissing itself early after any word is entered, space bar, or return key press on iOS 16 / UE5 (ue5-main)

Building for iOS 16 from UE5, built from source on the ue5-main branch

Whenever I have a text input field in a widget, and the user goes to type more than one word at a time, the keyboard dismisses itself early whenever the spacebar or return keys are pressed. It happens also if you select a word from the predicitive text menu above the keyboard.

It’s like the keyboard is trying to reset between each word that is committed.

This also happens on a brand new widget with an editable text field with no actions bound to the text changing.

This is using the “integrated keyboard” enabled in the iOS project settings.

1 Like

Have the same issue. 4.27.2, happens only on IOS devices

Can you confirm which version of iOS and which device you are seeing this on in 4.27.2? I imagine we can get a fix sooner if it is happening on a stable release.

IPhone 11, IOS 16 :slight_smile:

1 Like

A change from IOS 16 might be the culprit then, and if so, might need to wait for an official UE release that supports IOS 16…

I just submitted a bug report for this though, hopefully it can be addressed with a hotfix. thanks for chiming in here.

1 Like

Having this problem as well, now in 2024 :pensive:

I am seeing this using UE5.3.2 and deploying to an Iphone 13 Mini that has iOS16.1.2 installed

Wonder if there’s any fix that can be done? it appears to be some sort of input signaling bug

Hello everyone, Morris from Parallel Studios here! While working on our new mobile game I’ve created a working fix to this 2 year old iOS keyboard dismissal issue, hoping to share it with the rest of the community! :slightly_smiling_face:

I submitted a bug fix PR to the Unreal Engine source code here. With this fix, the iOS keyboard does not dismiss every time a word is entered, tested on iPhone 15, iOS 17.

Hoping this fix gets incorporated soon. In the meantime feel free to check out the code!

1 Like