VideoClip: Staff Roll (LoZ: Skyward Sword) arrangement from the Virtual Video Game Orchestra

In celebration of the re-release of “The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword” the Virtual Video Game Orchestra released an arrangment of the well loved soundtrack “Staff Roll”. Arranged by Finny Jacob Zeleny, Brandon Harnish, Thomas Håkanson, and John MacKay.

For people who don’t know yet The Virtual Video Game Orchestra (VVGO) is an orchestra that consist of musicians from all over the world, who record their parts (audio and video) from home. The audio gets mixed into a wonderful track and from the video this clip is created.

I started on the video for this project on the first day of christmas and have been spending most of my free time on this project.
Everything in this video has been completely build from scratch.

Big shout out to Joyce Uijtdehaage for her work on the Goddess Statue and Rosa van Wouwe on her work on the Marketplace and Beedles Shop.

The video was started in Unreal 4.27 and later upgraded to U5.0. The complete scene runs realtime in editor, with all the videos included. Which creates an amazing environment to create your shots based on what musicians are doing.
The Unreal engine gives me a freedom I never had before with these kind of videos.

I’ve been refining the blueprint for the video frames over the past year. And to give a better example of what is happening, here is a short video of what I do behind the scenes to make this work.

As you can see, there is a strong relationschip between Premiere, After Effects and Unreal in my workflow.
Working this way as shown in the video gives editors the choice of how they want to layout their video’s, which I can then easily translate back into the unreal engine. This is really nice, since this makes it more accesable for less skilled editors. They don’t have to worry what happends in the Unreal Engine that way.

I will definitely do a break down of the video in the future and share everything I have learned.

In the mean time, I will keep improving my workflow for Virtual Ensembles!
Jordy de Lat, Signing out!

4 Likes