Video driver crashed and was reset

Hi there. I recently bought an SSD to replace my old HDD. I installed Windows 10, all my programs and drivers with no issue. Everything works fine. I downloaded the 4.24.2 directly from Epic’s launcher and moved all my project files from my old HDD onto the new SSD.

Up to this point everything worked wonders. My project was working fine before, so I didn’t expect any problems at all, but when I open the editor and load any of my levels, no matter what I do everything will freeze, the screen will go black and after a few seconds I get the error: ‘‘Video driver crashed and was reset’’. Sometimes it even shuts down my computer.

I checked everything I could think of. Everything is updated, I’m running W10 1909, latest Nvidia drivers (tried both Game Ready and Studio drivers and nothing changed). I tried lowering my RAM speed from 3000Mhz to 2133Mhz just in case and the error persists, also disabled the CPU auto overclock from my motherboard. I verified the engine and it is fine. I thought that it may be related to RayTracing somehow, but I disabled it and the error persists. The error happens even in new projects, so it isn’t project related.

I played some games for around an hour and everything works fine, so I’m pretty sure it is an Unreal problem. Any help is highly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Hello,

We’ve recently made a switch to a new bug reporting method using a more structured form. Please visit the link below for more details and report the issue using the new Bug Submission Form. Feel free to continue to use this thread for community discussion around the issue.

https://epicsupport.force.com/unrealengine/s/

Thanks

Turns out the problem was my GPU. For some reason the voltage wasn’t enough and it would instantly crash the editor or any game after a few seconds. If anyone has the same problem, you can solve it by increasing your GPU’s voltage on MSI Afterburner. Also, you can try lowering the clock speed a bit if that alone doesn’t work.