Download

Very serious feature (Plan text based content data)

Binary content (uasset / umap) Separate to TextFile: ContentName.unreal_asset_type, ContentName.log, ContentName.bin, ContentName.multimedia_type
Or
Binary content (uasset / umap) Extract to Folder: ContentName.unreal_asset_type (.content, .log, .bin, multimedia files included)

For:

1. Git compare
  2. Marketplace download
  3. Editor content folder load
  4. Everything before final product

There is no reason to use binary content At Developing Time
(Edited)

I agree, if especially Blueprints were text files which could be diffed by git and whatnot automatically., it would really help out.

If text based contents there willbe no gap between:

1. Editor BuiltIn Debugging (for Designer & BluePrinter) And IDE Debugging (for Coder & BluePrinter)
  2. Editor BuiltIn Content Control (for Designer & BluePrinter) And Outter Source Control (for Coder & BluePrinter)
    This also helpful when debugging some errors behind binary

Epic has been working on a way to diff BPs and (possibly)some other non-binary assets via traditional source control for a while now.

This also helpful when debugging some errors behind binary

Someone talked about this feature was 3 years ago on the internet, I’m new to the unreal engine world, just ensure this feature is on the way, because it’s really important to me, i cannot imagine if i have to dealing with binary in the future no matter i’m a designer or coder

Maybe make it an option (first, made available using ‘experimental features’) to save everything in text file (this will be editor only and only for development). And after package, everything remains the same (binary files like now).

There are several good reasons

1. Speed up the object loading.
  2. Not easy to decipher…
  3. File size is always smaller - binary files always have lot more compact format. Plus compression.

all very good reasons, and all of them still apply if the BP is only converted from text to binary after a BP compilation and/or cooking time :wink:

The loading time point also related to editor load times really, but that’s a small price to pay.

Yes, but the binary superiority will be lost, when:

1. binary is fast when loading, but if cann’t teamwork (c++ coder <-> blueprint Or c++ coder <-> designer) also means wasting huge time
  2. binary means more secure, but also means hard to debug, this isn’t secure (even dangrous) to the engine user (developers / game company)
  3. although contents based on binary, but it’s still big, not really a big difference to non-binary content
    And all of above, can be done to the final product (after cook / compile), definitely not when developing

Well if not all of the issues highlighted above surfaces only during development - for this, I highly support text files. However, I do not think your comment being ‘binary is useless’ is correct - that is all.

TheJamsh proposed this idea a while back, its broadly related.
Epic seemed interested in exploring it, but the link is now dead…

Everything i said in this topic is about developing (debugging) time

So you can’t use source control for blueprints or what?

Let me say it more clearly, Unreal team encrypted some content for marketing reason, That quite un-friendly to the developers
Every function Unreal team has been done and they did more (Build In Source Control / Debugging Tool on top of Engine), that good, Except all encryption part to the contents
They just need remove these encryption code, back to transparent again, Let the developer to control these content directly through the text
The reason is for complete team work (CPP + BluePrint) (Current develop model is only for: BluePrint / C++) (This can also seen through the way editor creates New Project)

Let me say it more clearly, Unreal team encrypted some content for marketing reason, That quite un-friendly to the developers
Every function Unreal team has been done and they did more (Build In Source Control / Debugging Tool on top of Engine), that good, Except all encryption part to the contents
They just need remove these encryption code, back to transparent again, Let the developer to control these content directly through the text
The reason is for complete team work (CPP + BluePrint) (Current develop model is only for: BluePrint / C++) (This can also seen through the way editor creates New Project)

Let me say it more clearly, Epic encrypted some content for marketing reason, That quite un-friendly to the coders
Every function Unreal team has already been done (BuiltIn Content Controll, Debugging Tool, etc …), That’s good
We just only need to remove these encryption part, back to transparent again,

This will Allow the coders to debugging & diff these contents directly through outter tool (IDE / Git),
The Designer / BluePrinter can still control these content through existing way (Build In Content Control / Debugging Tool on top of Engine)

The main reason doing this is for complete team work (CPP + BluePrint + Design Content) and Directly seeing content code when using outside IDE
That why other engine using CPP + Script Code, BluePrint has it’s own advantage and can do the samething, but must based on Text format
Current team work model is only for: BluePrint + Design Content / C++ (This can also seen through the way of Unreal Editor creates New Project)

The Content Change Log, Can Seperate to .log file, So that Coders can set their own source control ignore file

The Change Log and Compiled Part of a Content, Can Seperate to .log .bin file, So that Coders can make their own source control ignore file
Link