Very Low FPS when moving mesh around

Hey! I’ve been trying to make a mesh of a cottage for my game. However, as I progressed, it just became painstakingly slow and laggy and I’m not too sure why. Is it cause my polycount is too high? I had already made each mesh low-poly (300-400 triangles per wooden beam/roof tile) but is it still too high? (I’m quite new to this so I am still unsure of how many polys are considered high or low)

Is there any fix for this? Would introducing LOD to each mesh help? (I tried but it doesn’t seem to have any effect)

These are the specs for my PC, but I don’t think my build is particularly weak:
Geforce RTX 2060
Ryzen 5 2600
16GB RAM

I’ve uploaded a video to show how bad the lag is in case it helps! Thanks in advance!

You seem to have a lot of static meshes in your cottage actor. If they are all set to movable in the details panel then that is a cause for slow performance. Change it to static. Also, building the cottage with individual meshes for what I assume is each plank or something will have an impact on performance. You should preferably merge it together into fewer meshes. Say have one mesh per wall or similar. You have the merge actors tool that you can use for this. This will reduce drawcalls.

Also, if you insist on using one static mesh component per item, then use instance static meshes. This will help with the draw calls as well. Just know that it will still be compute heavy.

I think a better approach to modular buildings is to have different modular walls (one mesh = one wall) that slot into each other. Then the blueprint can have different configurations of walls. See this

You can tell if you’re drawing too much stuff. Open the console and type: ‘stat scenerendering’ and look at the number of ‘mesh draw calls’. That should be, say < 1000 ish. If it’s higher, too many objects.

The also try ‘stat rhi’, your triangles drawn should be < 1,000,000 ish. If it’s higher, too many polys, time for LODding.

But looking at your vid, maybe you have something else going on there. Is there any code in the blueprints? Why not show FPS in the main window, what’s that other viewer you’re opening?

Hey, thanks for the reply

May I know what do you mean by “Open the console” and how do I access this? Do I do this in the blueprint window or in the main window?

In the video there was only 2 windows, the blueprint window and the main window
and no there wasn’t any coding in my blueprint, it was merely to put assemble the meshes together so I can later reuse them without reconstructing the house every time

Just in the main viewport, where you’re moving the mesh around, type the backtick key ( ` ) it’s usually to the left of the number 1, and you can type commands in directly.

Thanks! I ended up rebuilding the whole model in Blender before importing it as one model :slight_smile: