Vertex psinting mat suddenly doesnt work

So i did this part of this course where i paint asphalt on a cobblestone road, then paint leaves on that. It worked, except the course left out when he subdivided the road mesh so he could do vertex painting on it. So i did that to my mesh and started over.

But now my vertex painting material doesnt work. Its the exact same as before. But i cant paint anything.

The weird thing is that this time, the contrast node in the …eithtwoheighrmaps node needs to have a negative value to show the cobblestone. Before it needed to be 0. And the closer to 1 youd get the more it would show the asphalt. Now its either one or the other. So effectively that node thats supposed to blend two height maps does not blend. It just switches between the two.

Can somebody please tell me what is going on? Im painting with the red channel just like before. Your help will save me a huge head ache.

Thanks

Hight lerp is expensive and probably useless that way.

Pick a texture to blend into. Then use it as a mask.
Just multiply the vertex color into it, clamp it, and use as the alpha on a lerp (or on the blend node, but the blend node is very expensive too).

Hi, he builds on this mat throughout the course and I don’t really know enough to adjust as I go. You don’t see anything that would cause this problem? It looks identical to his.

Thanks

Unless you are using the same textures is not identical.
You just need to experiment and learn…

OK. But nothing I’ve tried has worked.