Vertex Painting Project crashes

I’m using 4.19.2 and if I prepare a two vertex color file, it crashes upon re-opening. The crash reports several missing files which I googled and discovered were actually
Windows files. I asked Geek Squad to go over my computer. They ran the Windows programs to restore lost or damaged files, checked for incompatibility between UE4 and other programs and informed me that all this was good after they worked on it, and also my virtual memory was optimal. But the problem just recurred. I’m running UE4 on a Dell Optiplex 990 using a Windows 10 64 bit Quadcore Intel at 3.1 GHz, an NVIDIA GEForce GT710, with 8 GB system memory. I know the card is not optimal and I could double the memory but a lot of users have uploaded anecdotes about their problems with Vertex Painting, they upgraded their cards and memory and the problems persisted. What is the latest thinking on this? Is a more recent version of UE4 better at this and if I upgrade, will I still be able to work on projects I already began? In what area and how much would I need to change the equipment I work with? Any advice would be appreciated. I’ve started so many projects that this problem ruined and I’m getting a little discouraged. Would Vertex painting from Blender be uploadable to UE4?