Vertex Painting disappears as mesh authoLODs

I’m starting to play around with vertex painting with a material, but I notice just as I was getting started that it disappears at a pretty close range… posting a link to some video here:

[https://streamable.com/iyiyq4][1]

put here are pictures as well:

I assume this is happening because the vertexes are disappearing as the mesh reverts to lower poly LODs? so am I going to have to extend the LOD range on my mesh’s higher poly version to keep this from happening? Seems like a big drawback from using vertex painting!

I don’t know exactly what’s going on here, but suspect it might be something to do with the material.

Which engine are you using?

See this remark in the tool when I just tried it out:

EDIT: Although, having experimented a bit further, I see what you mean. Higher LODs aren’t taking the painting…

EDIT2: I can get it to apply to all LODs, but I have to do each one individually, bit of a pain…

Thanks so much for your quick reply.
So from your own test, too, it’s clear it’s not just the material right? I’ve set it up using a pretty common model I’ve seen propagated on many links.

my hope is there’s a way to maybe autolod the painted texture as well?

I’m going to be really frustrated if I’d have to paint this on multiple lods! Lol

My material only had a vertex color node in, so it’s not that :slight_smile:

It does look a bit like a bug, but probably isn’t.

I’m thinking it may have something to do with the relative amount of polys per LOD, but I’m not quite sure what…

I think you’re right, it makes sense if I’m painting on individual vertexes that when they are reduced with the LODing, that the paint wouldn’t have its vertex to attach to. My only hope is that UE would have anticipated it in some way?
But hopefully someone on here knows how to fix it…

Just in case, here’s a shot of the material graph…

Nothing fancy, just what I found utilized by others: Ignore the Albedo layer controls and it’s just albedo A and B, Normal A and B, lerped and a Vertex Color node into the alphas. I think this is how it’s supposed to be done.

Yeah… you might get lucky if you post again, or try the forums… :-/

Okaaaay, guess I won’t be vertex painting then! lol

okay, bumping it up again… any one else run into this issue?

The exact same thing happens to me but not every time. It happens to me just when it comes to a spline mesh. It does not occur in the rest of the objects.
Within these spline mesh, I had to change from mesh instances to mesh because it did not allow me to paint in the meshes instances. The spline is very simple

The vertex paint disappears in a very short distance.

I found the solution to my problem. When entering vertices painting mode, click on ALL LODS, this option is in the toolbar that appears when entering this mode. This will apply the vertex paint to all lods on the mesh.

This is version 4_25