Vehicle Video Tutorials

I’ve created and uploaded two video tutorials. Thanks to GeoDav and countless other UDK developers for their earlier work on vehicles, I’m not sure I would have figured any of this out without them.

Part one is a vehicle modeling and rigging tutorial in Maya: Vehicle Modeling/Rigging Tutorial in Maya for Unreal Engine 4 - YouTube

Part two is a vehicle implementation tutorial using Blueprints: Unreal Engine 4 Vehicle Tutorial (Blueprint) - YouTube

I will post more videos as I work my way through tuning and replication. I’m also open to doing a C++ version if there is enough interest. Lastly, I do think official (read: better) vehicle support from Epic is right around the corner given some of the commits I’ve seen on the master branch recently:

yes we know, i’ve been asking for a while and i also did a basic start video using the code that we have

Thanks again for the original video! I based my blueprints implementation on yours.

Thanks for the tutorial!

I’m curious if you were able to create an bike - my isn’t working :confused:

Another thing - my vehicle won’t drive on ground. It’s above the ground maybe you will know where the problem is: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/38800/bp-vehicle-driving-above-collision.html

Cheers!

I don’t know if this are from Epics guys, but it does look nice!

thanks for this, will give it a go!

nice tutorial:)

I just hope they add support for proper suspension, the PhysX version that UE4 uses supports it but I don’t know if epic will use it with UE4 or not, I hope they do:D.

dude make your own wip thread on that man, the dude with the sweet aventador xD

This is not mine, but the guy posted another video. I don’t know why he is not posting here on the forum.

Anyway… Very nice!!!

You’re welcome! I hope it was helpful. At the moment, if you subclass WheeledVehicle you’ll end up with with a WheeledVehicleMovementComponent4W, which requires four wheel setups in order to complete instantiation. There doesn’t seem to be a general wheeled vehicle movement component class that you can use (UWheeledVehicleMovementComponent is an abstract class). I don’t know enough to say with any certitude, but I see PhysX level references related to 4 wheelers in the UWheeledVehicleMovementComponent4W class, so I suspect an implementation with a different number of wheels could take some working knowledge of PhysX.

For a vehicle with more than 4 wheels, see this discussion on the answers site: How can I find how many wheels are on my vehicle? - World Creation - Epic Developer Community Forums. There’s probably a better way to do that (or will be, eventually), but propagating the rotation of 4 actual wheel setups to the rest seems promising.

I’ll take a look at your question and see if I can come up with anything useful; Epic staff are always a better bet than I.

great tutorial

Hey piinecone,

Great job on the tutorials. You can also post tutorials on our wiki so we can help others looking to use vehicles.

Thanks and keep up the great work!
-Sean

Thanks! I will most certainly add these to the wiki as something like “4.1 vehicle tutorials.” I’m going to do a few more soon, probably on adding a rotating turret/projectile launcher and replication with blueprints. I still haven’t figured out how to make the vehicles drive very well so I can’t do a tutorial on that yet.

For anyone interested in vehicles, vote for them on the UE4 roadmap here: Trello