Valve's new Source 2 Engine Free. . . What?

I can’t keep up man. These last two days I feel like a gerbil on a treadmill. When’s it gonna end?

What’s Valve up to?

Did all these game engine makers hear a voice come out of the cornfield, “Build it, And make it Free.”

Obviously, why you would pay for other 3D engine if you can use free UE4. so other engine developers need to response to it or else there user base gonna shrink and it’s not really about indie developers, but bigger companies too and some needed to pay for each user which multiplies the cost, UE4 was like that paid and Unity is like that too if i’m not mistaken

Cautious optimism for this. No release date and in their comments Valve said it would be available free to content creators, which doesn’t necessarily mean game creators but instead sounds like it’s for creating items for the likes of TF2 and DOTA2.

Somehow I am a bit more concerned about the status of Half Life 3. Valve is a great company, and GabeN is a straight up guy, he has ethics and does not sink and destroy its franchise for the sake of money.

When one compared Call of Duty series to games by Valve, COD is a joke. Counter Strike GO is the second most played game on steam, and is the most fantastic FPS I have ever played besides Half Life 2.

Lets stick to the topic here folks. We don’t want to start yet another COD vs CS vs BF war do we? :wink:

valves dev tools have always been free so its no suprise

From the leaked screens comparing L4D2 made using Source Engine vs Source Engine 2.0, the latter looks nothing compared to Unity 5 from the demo reel at GDC which already looks meh and not as good as anything UE4 presented, let alone compared to UE4.

It seems you really don’t know what UE4 can really do : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=154489030&postcount=460

2015 indie devs:**

&stc=1

Yes… we’re all actually in a mental institution… this is all unreal but let’s enjoy it while it lasts.

So the main problem with Source in the past was always that it was kind of a dog to work with and get things done (both on the code side and in Hammer). From the announcement it definitely sounds like they’ve improved usability, though I’m still skeptical that they’ll really have it nailed without long term public testing having already taken place.

I was just having fun with all the free tools coming out for devs but yeah back on topic…

I dunno … after reading all the articles, meh so little info a la valve. Not that I’m not happy for this influx of free new tools for the current and next generation of game developers… But it’s going to be hard to top it for me personally after ‘free UE4’ (My excitometer is worried though of Tim Sweeney’s ‘next big announcement’). Nice part though is that hopefully now everyone can choose what they prefer and stop complaining about ‘this is better than that’ once the buffet of free engines is out on the main platter.

Thanks for the links , you were my first source of news on this :cool: …he…hehe