Valve Index and haptic feedback with OpenXR

We have been running it in PIE and from a steam build launching from steam, both with SteamVR as active runtime, no dice

Just to verify: Fresh VR template, poses and input are working as expected, but when you grab a cube, or shoot the pistol, there are no haptics? Make sure you don’t have a custom input profile applied, as you can turn off haptics there.

I just tried with fresh VR template, and our own game, and found some interesting things. So when first booting up the template the haptics seemed to work flawlessly indeed. However, after trying things out for a while, the thing that worked flawlessly was shooting the gun, but picking items up only worked once, then I had to shoot the gun again to have 1 item pick up haptic again. Additionally, in our own game, the same thing happened, you would only get 1 haptic per controller, however this reset if you pressed the triggers, where a vibration happened (I think this was from Steam VR itself, as I don’t believe we added haptics on trigger) and then the pick up vibration again worked one time. It seems that any vibration caused by the triggers resets the vibrations?
Also when playing the template one time, only the left knuckle trigger gave the Steam VR vibration, that could be used to reset the haptics, while the right one did not have this vibration, and pressing the trigger here also did not reset the haptics.

I have the same behavior. Trigger is somehow releasing the haptics stuck issue, but if you never trigger, you only will have the haptic effect once. In a fresh VR Template if you only try to test the haptic effect of grabbing and releasing objects (without pressing the trigger) you will have the haptic activation once.

1 Like

still having this issue with vive vibrating for 2.5 seconds and index only working ocassionally… any updates?

I see this wasn’t handled for 5.1.1?

Make sure you update SteamVR as the 2.5s vibration was addressed in their runtime

I’m not able to reproduce “no haptics w. Index controllers”

Updated Steam VR to latest beta (1.25.3) and still getting the following behavior:
Vive Pro controllers: all haptic effects last 2,5sec
Index: haptic effect plays correctly for the first time, then nothing. No haptics will play unless restarting the editor.

Is it safe to assume that the issue is not Unreal related per say, but more with OpenXR/SteamVR? I’ll have to forget about haptics for our demo next week, but would be nice to have them working for our 1.0 release in May! I know this is probably not something that you at Epic can even resolve since it seems at least partially being a SteamVR issue. Your work is still very much appreciated, if you can find any solutions! I’ve been asking about a niagara issue in another topic and haven’t gotten any answers to that, would love to have at least some particles working for our release.

1 Like

Hey! Did you ever find any fix to this?

This appears to be an issue with SteamVR/OpenXR as the latest Beat Saber alpha release is having the same issues. (Switching Unity versions 2019 → 2021 / oVR → oXR)

Same issues happened with OpenVR on current public release (since multiplayer update) where anything above 80hz would cause haptics to cut out entirely, until a trigger press.

Currently with the OpenXR test these issues have gotten significantly worse, and all the mods/fixes that were previously made for oVR are no longer working.

For some insight:
Previously, OpenVR/SteamVR didn’t support fancy haptic effects like amplitude.
BS has a thread that essentially spams haptics events and something, something, overflow bluetooth stack. Fix was to buffer haptic events to 80hz.

I went into plugins and enabled “SteamVR”, also have the feedback set to
Frequency: 170hz
Amplitude: 2
Works consistently now

We’ve removed the SteamVR plugin in 5.3 and it’s not recommended to continue to use it as there will be no bug fixes or feature development for it. You won’t be able to update engine versions if you use the SteamVR plugin.

This does seem to be an issue w. the SteamVR OpenXR runtime if the same issue is present in other games (particularly if they’re not made with UE, like Beat Saber).