UV Wrapping

I"ve never heard of solus by Hourences,is that on market place possibly ?

Anyway, yes, given a ‘rock’ I made with no lightmap at all, came into UE4 and I did window >generate UV’s, and it did it just fine, no errors, so I agree it prob.is mesh complexity,but I had no choice on . The mesh was originally 676k from unity and I knew that wouldn’t fly for a game so I brought it down to 147 k thinking that surely would be ok as I know engine can handle much more, but I wasn’t thinking about individual mesh’s causing problems. Live and learn as always!

I can post a screenshot, yes, of outside of mountain , and caves on inside from UNDERSIDE and hope its enough to help me fix mess.

Ok here goes:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=79A04534F6B84EF5!20341&authkey=!AP9_Ir037N46s0c&v=3&ithint=photo%2Cjpg < mesh itself, tiled so you can see it a bit better.

UVMap for lightmap coming now,and yes its set to islands: .008 ( Ithought .001 might be too close for comfort) :

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=79A04534F6B84EF5!20338&authkey=!AO7HnUUyfl9jea0&v=3&ithint=photo%2Cjpg

Hope that’s enough to give you idea what is going on.

ty
nl

You can watch the videos and download the sample project from here:

I highly recommend it, it is very informative with lot’s of little tips/tricks, not to mention the demo scene you download is really cool looking!!! :slight_smile:

I see there are several there yes, but are they going to help with my mesh and having trouble with lightmap creation ?

I"ll keep looking,but on initial inspection Im not seeing anything.

cheers
nl

@neighborlee

I’ve seen your pics and looks like a mountain with some caves inside. 676K triangles for is unacceptable imo.

For the mountain:

1. why don’t you use UE4 landscape and model it how you like??
  2. For the part where terrain have some stalagmites, you can model them in put them on terrain. I am sure even if you do stalagmites highres and bake to a low res model will look good.

For inside caves:

1. Try to do a modular construction, in that way you can reuse a lot of parts. Agaian, highres->bake route can give you great results.

For whole 676k triangles mesh, you ever considered texturing problems?

Why your mesh is not good:

1. To many triangles.
  2. You need to have a huge lightmap texture to cover entire uvs.
  3. Not good for culling. I mean… yes, GPU will cull some triangles, but there is a BIG difference in sending a 676k vertex and index buffer+ textures and let the GPU heat, instead sending maybe 20k with what is actually visible
  4. You will have problems texturing and even modifying stuff.
  5. Can be hard for collision detection.

I want to give you an advice, in general, the GPU have limitations, you HAVE to take care of them and start thinking how you can model your meshes/work in that way to be GPU “friendly”: One of the GPU limitation is BANDWIDTH limitation, means, you can’t transfer more data that BUS allow you. If you look at nVidia and ATI cards all specify all of those. You will have problems with that mountain mesh to get a decent frame rate when you will start adding things into the world.

Ideally, to render a scene is to send a big vertex buffer, index buffer, and 1 texture and render. In that way, you make your upload to graphics card memory from main memory and render the scene. But that’s ideal case, in most cases is not like that. One of the things that a game engine is doing is to send to GPU to render an optimized scene graph with the intention to MINIMIZE states changes/textures changes/buffers, AND take in consideration culling.

Maybe I’ve missed some points, I am sorry I just wake up, and coffee is waiting for me:) I am sure there are other peoples here who can give you mode advices/correct me if i am wrong:)

One more thing!

Considering your 676k triangles mesh, considering the worst scenario where you have in the final lightmap assigned 1 pixel for 1 triangles (worst lightmap ever), you need 676k pixels, (I am not even counting that you need to have some spaces between uv shells). Square root is 26k and the first power of 2 is 262,144 so you need to have a lightmap texture with MINIMUM dimension of 262,144 X 262,144 and that HUGE!!!:slight_smile:

Sorry if I did not make that clear, but the mesh is not 676K tris, that was direct out of unity 3d, so I decimated it in blender and brought it down to 119K,and added features afterwards.

I’ll read more of your reply downstairs.

Thanks for taking the time to do .

Btw, Im told to split mesh up into ssay 5 pieces,each one its own mesh into UE4 and coordinates 0 0 0, and bring into ue4 that way. Makes sense for light map ease I guess , I’ll update here if it works :wink:

HIghres >bake,as in normal map ? I’ve never done it but Im aware of it.

I think I will also try what Tdoro mentioned which was to use 0.1 for islands and 1 for angle and see if that makes anyI diff.

Also btw, redoing inside of mountain is unthinkable, as they took a great deal of time to do and most are integral plot areas. Moldular while logical won’t help mesh, but of course a great idea for down the road. Thx for reminder.

Cheers
nl

Mesh splitting didn’t work at all so that’s out it seems atm,but I may try again another time.

I got normalmap function to work fine but there was enough detail loss that I’m skipping that,but ofc its wonderful for other less important meshs.

I finally got 2 channels out of blender which was a great surprise,not entirely sure what I was doing wrong but I have idea, but the lighting rebuild which went ok, had weird artifacts all over, so I guess I didn’t’ use the right island or angle setting so I’lll try again tomorrow.