UV Mapping multiple walls?

Hi all.

I’m trying to create a fairly modular interior environment and I’m having trouble figuring out the best way to handle UV mapping different sized walls while still using one texture for them. I’m using 3DS max and I can create the different wall pieces I need just fine, but when it comes to unwrapping each one that’s where I’m getting stumped.

I’m not really sure how to make each pieces UVs match up in dimensions to every other piece, I’m also not sure how to go about making everything seamless on top of it.

Any tips on the proper workflow for something like this?

Thanks, it would be a big help.

Apply a UV mapping modifier and set it to Box mapping. Set the dimensions of the box mapping all the same, and that will apply even mapping across all the walls, might not line up exactly on the corners though, but the size will be correct. That only works for walls and rectangular shapes, otherwise you get incorrect distortion.

Hmm, that worked really well, I can even tile the texture across nice and seamless.

One question though, if I collapse the modifier stack one one of those walls and apply an unwrap modifier the actual UVs go well outside the bounds. Will that cause issues in UE4 or other engines down the road?

For lightmaps you have to map it within the 1x1 space, but for your material textures, it doesn’t matter though you need to keep it within reason, since a very large size would lose accuracy as the numbers get bigger.

I see, I see.

Thank you very much for your time. That’s very helpful!