Using GIT or TFS with Fortnight

Hi,
I’m managing a large team and we are struggling with UEFN’s built in revision control. The lack of details in revision history on what files changed, the inability to see changes in verse files. It just isn’t scaling.

The company uses Git for most its unity projects and TFS for art. I know git is not ideal for Unreal but what about UEFN? Anyone have experience using TFS or Git with UEFN? any issues? I’m hyper concerned with how UEFN seams to touch files all over the place when editing levels and if that will play nice with non-built in source control.

Thanks!

UEFN revision control is similar to Git, I’ve never used tfs so I cant speak on that. If you and your team refer to this documentation (if you haven’t already) it opens up more dynamics for revisions, then the gui of uefn does. I was surprised to find out how from within uefn there is almost no options, list, or quite frankly anything regarding source control but after I read the linked documentation I found that at least we are able to see the note left with that version, date, and by whom - a function that should be in uefn without having to use a command line :sweat::unamused: ideally, should be accessible in the creator portal too; for folks like yourself so you wouldn’t need to launch uefn to check progress :person_shrugging:

https://dev.epicgames.com/documentation/en-us/uefn/unreal-revision-control-command-line-interface-in-unreal-editor-for-fortnite

1 Like

Yeah you cannot see what changes you made to code in UEFN though, prior to check-in or before. Like there is no DIF, no Merge, No branches. Changed in world files are not human readable as well.