Using Editor Utility Widgets in Different Projects

Hello all -

This may be a stupid/naive question but based on all I’ve read, I’m not seeing the expected behavior.

I’ve spent a while building an editor utility widget that automates a bunch of things in our virtual production workflow. It has a number of plugin dependencies. After a fair amount of testing in its development project, it now works pretty well. I’d like to start using it in other projects when necessary. But here’s where I run into problems.

Numerous things I’ve read about editor utility widgets talk about them popping up in other projects, even when people DON’T want them to. I’d love for that to happen, since we’d use it in almost every project we work on, but it doesn’t seem to work for me. Instead, I have to migrate the asset for the widget into the new project, make sure all the plugins it is dependent on are loaded, and then compile it again.

Is there a way to avoid this migration and re-compiling of the editor utility widget? Can I just make the compiled version accessible in some way that it’s always available?

Thank you!

1 Like

Is there a way I can bump this post? I too would like some more information about this process.