Using Bones to Pose Organic Props

Hey! I’m totally new to Unreal Engine and I couldn’t find any information on the specific thing that I’m looking for anywhere on the internet, so I’m trying my luck here in the community.

Here’s the thing: I’ve got a whole bunch of organic props (roots, branches, etc.) and I need them in many deformed variations for my level design. I figured that it would be cool to model these assets in straight form, rig them with bones and deform them to my needs in the level editor. That way I could also reuse a small amount of assets with lots of variety.

The only thing that I actually managed to achieve so far is importing a rigged asset and manipulating it’s pose by creating a one-keyframe animation in the animation editor. However, the asset is isolated in the animation editor, which makes it hard to find the right pose (e.g. to wrap a root around a stone) and also it feels a bit weird to play an animation on every deformed asset, which might cause performance issues.

So, I wonder, is there a good way to achieve what I’m trying to do? Can I deform a rigged object into a static pose directly in the viewport somehow? Or is there even a better way to do it like sculpting/tweaking an imported mesh without any rigging?

Some input from experienced Unreal users would be much appreciated!

Looks like I just needed to think outside the box a little more. It turns out that using the modelling tools (especially the lattice deformer) is a pretty good alternative for what I’m trying to do.

Only thing I wonder is: when I deform an object, all instances seem to inherit the same deformation. Does this mean that I have to create an actual duplicate of the mesh for each deformed variant? It would be great if I could reuse the same mesh in different deformed states. What would be the best approach in this case?

To close this thread with my ultimate conclusion: What I was looking for is spline meshes!