I am very new to UE4 and am wanting to build a game which has a large focus on GUI.
I have done some searching for info on the subject and watched a few videos along with my ue4 basics training but nothing comes close to explaining how I can achieve what I need. I watched UMG in UE4 but it looks like a button creator and static images?
I know how to do what I need in Flash as I am a Web Developer by trade, so this probably makes things even more of a mix up for me.
What I need to create are animated 2D elements which sit ontop of the game at all times. If you take a look at the following links you will see the level of complexity I need with the GUI.
The question is, how or even where do I start to even work out how to do this at commercial quality?
Key requirements are:
- Curved / Dial shaped bars which fill and empty
- Curved / Radial shaped bars with fill indicators which light up rather than a filled shape (sprite sheet?)
- Bars which have unique shapes and thus require unique fills
- Animation effects such as glow pulses
- Animation effects such as line movements
- Projection of 3D models onto a 2D element (is it 2D, is it 3D, is it a sprite?
- UI Elements will have transparency
- Glow, Colourize/Tint and Alpha transitions
- Execute sound when ui element is clicked
- Events for mouse over, mouse out, mouse down, mouse up, click
- Low CPU/GPU consumption (I’ve noticed a lot of AAA games these days the menu screens can take more CPU/GPU than many parts of the actual games!)
Another question is I’ve heard of Flash being used in some games for the UI (SONY), is it possible to push an SWF into the UE4 engine and hook into it somehow?
Is there a 2D layer in Unreal Engine 4?
If anyone has any help on this it would be much appreciated.
Any information on how to achieve the above, where to get started?
If any of the Unreal game devs are reading this I don’t suppose you have a demo on the way for achieving this? Or maybe consider making one for the market?
Anyone know of any documentation links, information, pointers, tips, code, examples, youtube videos, demo projects that may help me?