Use motion controllers on the Vive to drive animation blend spaces

Hello all, I’m totally new to the unreal engine however I’ve been using 3DS Max for quite a while and I’m a seasoned 3D CAD modeler. I’m trying to use the Unreal Engine for non-game related content so most of the tutorials I’ve watched do not directly apply to what I’m trying to do.

Here is what I want to do, I just need to know how I go about doing it.

This is a VR demonstration of one of our products and I’m using the HTC Vive.
I’ve started with the VR Template and I’m just using the default hands and teleport locomotion because it works exactly how I need it to. I am going to show our product running, just a simple shaft rotation with appropriate related components. Then I want to use the motion controllers to change from rotating going into an exploded view. If possible I want to use the triggers to variably control how fast or slow it explodes if the user lets off the trigger it will stop animating. The right trigger will increase the rate at which it explodes and the left trigger will drive the animation in reverse eventually ending up back to a running state. I’ve imported all the animation from 3DS Max and I really only have 2 states. Rotating or exploding.

What I think I need to do is setup something in the level blueprint to drive a variable from the motion controller trigger axis and then use the value of that variable to drive an animation blend space where at a value of 0 shows the shaft rotating and and at a value of 100 (to make the math easy) have it going into the full exploded animation. I’ve thought about a value of 50 having the pump slowly explode and past 50 it would get faster and faster. I’ve watched some blend space videos on character animation but there is a lot more going on in those and they are using character location information to drive what the character is doing where I just want the triggers to do that.

The other option is I can make a slider that the person can interact with and drag it from 0 to 100 but I have no idea how to do it. I can model it up easily but I have no idea how to interact with it. The kicker is I am showing this to some people at work at the end of the week and I’d like to try to have it done by then. I don’t think it will be difficult at all, I just don’t know what I’m doing yet. Can anyone help me out?

Hi,

i’m afraid i am not much of help for you as i also start using ue, but i may have a few ideas how it could work and i like to build something like that myself :slight_smile:

1. You may do the animation in ue using “matinee” as you then can control it relative easy in blueprints, i already done this but only playing it forward and backward by a click on the
    vive-controller and it was only one mesh. What you (and i) need is not just playing the animation, it’s more like “scrubbing” trough it.
    I did not tried this out.

2. I recently installed the “VR Expansion” plugin and it has some nice features in it, one is a cool “grip” feature which makes it easy to spin or move meshes in selected
    axis (like a spinning globe or opening a drawer) using the physics-constraints and the grip-feature.

I know it not the solution you hope to get, but maybe some one else here can help.

Andy

Edit: Here is the link to the VR thingy …

I tried the Matinee idea and it seems to work at least using a gamecontoller as i was not working on the VR workstation.