As a daily user, and UX specialist, I’d love to give some suggestions to make UE4 editor even better.
Here is a list of items I’d like the devs to consider. Some may be quick wins, some harder. Please pass on.
- Keyboard shortcuts don’t always register when you fire them. For example when a BP node is selected, shortcuts won’t fire. Same with the 3D view, to build or run. Most often, it is required to click the top bar to then execute a shortcut
- Tabs are non navigational. CTRL+Page UP / Ctrl+Page Dn would be a good standard. It currently requires the mouse
- An option to force new tab in the main window would be nice
- There is no close tab or close window shortcut (expected CTRL+W). A middle click on the tab or click on X is required
- UNDO is temperamental. It will only work in the one window and if you hit CTRL+S you’re out of luck.
- The editor settings for keyboard shortcut: “set as default” button is always grayed out.
- Clicking in a BP node field such as a float requires a double click to select the full field and overwrite the value. Imho a single click should select the full field, particularly for numerals.
- The open asset modal window is great. However if you type something, the first indexed element should be selected so that a user can just press Enter. Currently it does odd stuff, like if I type player controller I end up with GameHud(?)
Thank you for your time.
PS: posted it here and got Marked as answered right away Usability improvements to UE4 editor - UE4 AnswerHub
PPS: Edit - wording