Urgent help! Engine crashes when trying to load main level

I was in the middle of placing some objects in my scene when I got a random UE4 error crash. This happens every so often so I didn’t think it was that big of deal. However, when I launched my game project back up and tried to load my main level, it now crashes every time with the following error:

Assertion failed: Export.ObjectName!=NAME_None || !(Export.ObjectFlags&RF_Public) [File:D:/Build/++UE4+Licensee/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/CoreUObject/Private/UObject/LinkerLoad.cpp] [Line: 4040]

UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore
user32
user32
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll

I tried cloning the project and the same error occurs on the clone. I also tried reinstalling Unreal Engine v4.25.3 and that failed to work as well. I’m clueless as to how to attempt to salvage my level that I’ve been working on for the past 4 months :frowning:

Anyone help or suggestions?

Try renaming your “DefaultEngine.ini” to “.DefaultEngine.ini” located at project location … _. example : C:\Development\UE4\Project\Config

Might get you back in the editor atleast.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion SaxonRah. I’m actually still able to get in the engine because I have the default level set to an empty level. I’m also able to load other levels I have setup in my game project. Its just the main game level which has the majority of my assets in it that fails to load and causes this error when I try to open it.

I tried changing the DefaultEngine.ini anyways and the error persisted.

I also tried cooking the game for Windows to see if that would resolve anything and it failed during cooking for the same error.
I also tried validating the game files (File > Validate Data) and this causes the same error crash.
I can’t duplicate the level because if I try to right click the level to duplicate it, the same crash happens.

1 Like

My bad I misinterpreted the title of the thread lol.

In this case lets try and fix up all redirectors in the content browser.

1 Like

All good. Another really good suggestion. I actually don’t have any redirectors as this was something I already had cleaned up (this was done well before this problem happened, so it shouldn’t be anything that caused this as it was multiple saves ago). I did have redirectors in the engine content folder and I ran Fix Up on all of those but unfortunately the problem still occurs.

I was hoping it was as easy as mine was. But at this point i’d close the editor. First navigate to the saved folder in project directory. Check for a autosaved map of the one youre having problems with checking to make sure its there before we proceed… Now navigate to the map in content folder through file explorer and delete it. After it’s deleted, go and take a copy of an autosaved map in saved folder and paste it in content folder. lol

6 Likes

OMG Saxon I was able to pull a version of the level from the autosave folder and get it loaded. You have no idea how much I appreciate you taking time to help me figure this out. You seriously just saved the past 4 months of my life. I just ordered some hard drives and I’m going to figure out how to setup a proper automated versioning backup system so I don’t have to run into this nightmare again.

The only problem I have now is that I can’t open my persistent level, since it was referencing the corrupted level inside of it. The persistent level only had my post processing, sunlight, environment effects and a few other global objects in it, so I should be able to rebuild that without too much of a hassle. Unless you know of a way to unload other levels from a level without actually opening the level. Then I could just remove the corrupt level and it would work fine.

Once again, seriously thank you so much. I was on the verge of a breakdown

3 Likes

Actually I just figured out how to get my persistent level. I just created a new level and then streamed the persistent level into that one, since UE4 won’t stream levels 2 layers deep, it only pulled the persistent level so now I can get access to those assets and make sure I set them all up in blueprints with updated settings since only a few were being done that way. OMG I can breathe.

1 Like

Glad you got it working!!! That would have been my next suggestion! Great work.

I do not know if they have already advised you the following or you did.
This has happened to me a couple of times and with commercial projects. I have solved it by copying the content of the Content folder into a new empty project. You can create that empty project with the same name as the original project or with a different one, it worked the same for me.
Logically some things will be lost from the level configuration and something else, but in my case the level could be opened and fully recovered after some extra work.

Well, if it is already fixed, much better, if not, then this is one more option, the saved level option is really useful. If that is not possible, you can try this method.
In my case, the option to copy and paste the saved level was not possible because the problem occurred when opening the project with a higher version of the engine, so there were no security copies in it.
Greetings

1 Like

Saved me so thanks!

Great, thanks, that worked for me !
But know i’m in the editor , I still can’t open any damaged blueprint to repair it because the engine crashes if I try to open them. With the same error that was occuring before : EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW

Two years after you posted this SaxonRah and it’s still helping! You just saved me from such a horrible feeling that I had lost days of work - your steps worked perfectly - Thank you :slight_smile: