Upstairs

For questions relating to the current active challenge please use the tag UnrealChallenge
For submissions please include the tag BetterLightThanNever

Title:Upstirs

https://youtu.be/NbptcUl1WEo

Student Submission: Yes/No (Yes)

Credits to sourced content:

• Quixel Megascan

Optional

• Description
    Hello everyone! I am a sophomore majoring in accounting and German. It takes about a month to learn Unreal Engine 5 in my spare time. This is my first release in the Unreal community, and it’s certainly not perfect. The more I learned about Unreal Engine, the more I realized my ignorance. (There’s so much to learn)

The scene design is inspired by the mines and caves in Demon’s Souls, although it doesn’t look dark and scary enough.

To build this scene, the first step is to conceive and place the stairs. It is much easier to divide them into groups. I probably built 6 or 7 layers because the bottom-up shot would be blocked by the flat fog material I made.

The second is to build mountains and stones. This step is not difficult, use the movement, rotation and scaling of the object but pay attention to the collision between the Meshes. I also added some branches and stone pillars to support the stairs to make it less obtrusive.

The third step is to use the Blueprint to create a simple fog material that will mask some of the scene’s imperfections and holes, but more to render the atmosphere of the environment.

The fourth step is to establish global lumen lighting, and set the sun height so that the scene does not look particularly bright. The lumen lighting system is especially suitable for beginners. It only needs simple settings to get excellent global real-time lighting, which makes the mesh no longer appear pure black. Point lights, spot lights, and self-illuminating objects all have this property. I mostly used point lights in the scene, and adjusted the falloff distance and color temperature to make the lights look more like fires and flashlights in caves. It’s a pity that I haven’t fully grasped the placement of the light sources, so the lighting and shadows end up looking a little “weird”.

I originally wanted to use blender to make some resources, but the high temperature of the school dormitory of 40 degrees made it impossible for blender to run under the environment of 100 degrees of laptop CPU. Unreal Engine is much more stable than expected.Thanks to Quixel Magasan I was able to quickly and easily build the scene.

All in all, every use of Unreal Engine is a learning process. It turns out that I still have a lot to improve. Thank you epic for providing creators with efficient and high-quality productivity tools. I hope that all Unreal creators can use the engine to make works that they are satisfied with. Finally, thank you to everyone in the Unreal community and those who liked my work.

• Engine version 5.02
4 Likes