Updating a 4.27 game and making it VR in 5.3 -- a world of hurt?

Our team is in early stages of this; coming into a project that none of us were a part of for the 4.27 game build, and now we are tasked with updating and deploying to VR. There’s a fair amount of work there, I know, including a complete overhaul of the control system. I’ve only ever done VR in 4.27 and not that much, so lots of learning ahead.

I have a few questions for you all:

1. We’ve elected to create a new 5.3 VR template prj and migrate assets in, rather than work off of the old repo and try to retro fit to the new engine. The hope is to scale down any old and unused assets, as well as take advantage of never settings, configs – are there any pitfalls in this thinking?

2. Are there any really good resources or guides for moving a VR prj from 4.x to 5.x?

3. What am I even seeing here? Crazy green dots on the viewport, disappears if i move far enough away (like, up)

all advice is welcome! thanks friends

Hey @SIRTJames!

As far as the migration, if you CAN do that, that’s exactly what I would suggest!

For the dots, it could be the temporal AntiAliasing. Try switching to MSAA or FXAA in your Project Settings. :slight_smile:

Give that a try and let us know how it goes!

2 Likes

wow you nailed the anti aliasing - switching from MSAA to FXAA fixed the issue… but only for a little while. Once i moved around it came back… granted, not as bad as before.

I’ll explore this, thanks!

1 Like