Download

Update on Volumetric Rendering Plugin

Hi guys.

So after reading thoroughly through this thread (thats a lots of th’s)…

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?1552-Generate-Procedural-Mesh/

…I have been able to start to implement my volume slice rendering technique in UE4. Previously I was using particles but that was a bit inconsistent for getting a uniform density and look. This way I dynamically generate slices that intersect a bounding area and face the camera every frame. This example is using a 3d noise node to test but as soon as the geometry generation is finished up, I’ll add in my animated volume texture shader to read in maya fluid caches.

UPDATE:
0bbafe0b7c1eaaeabbff6fb3a1aaa49685a372b6.jpeg

ORIGINAL PIC:
slices.png

I’ll post updates over the next week.

Cheers!
Dan

Very Cool. I was just commenting to a friend yesterday on how nice it would be to be able to read Maya fluid caches, or just cached data period for use in UE4. I look forward to seeing more. Btw I see you are at Weta, do you know Dan Lemmon?

It actually won’t be limited to maya fluid caches. It will be able to read in any volumetric data that is stored in a texture atlas. All you would need to do would be to render slices of volumes into a texture and the material will work out how to render it. In Houdini it would be pretty easy to set up a volume exporter for pyro or cloud setups.

Dan is one of our supervisors. :slight_smile:

That’s awesome! So are you hard coding this into the engine or is it a plugin or how are you doing it? Will you be sharing it with the community or releasing something in the marketplace?

P.S. I worked in Feature Anim for 7 years (Dreamworks and Pixar) and have lots of friends in VFX. that’s where I know Dan from, we also went to the same school. that’s why I asked. :slight_smile:

At the moment it’s just in my game module. It’s just a couple of classes so putting it into a plugin wouldn’t be hard. There are no plugin on marketplace yet so prob not an option for now.

Quick update:

I got it working. The slices now properly intersect with the bounds and dynamically generate to face the camera.

0bbafe0b7c1eaaeabbff6fb3a1aaa49685a372b6.jpeg

Here is a wireframe shot of 8 slices to make it a bit clearer whats happening.
Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 9.40.30 am.png

I got the code working to read my volume texture atlases.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=BgxHYqcoNbI

Looks excellent! Volumetric clouds with subsurface scattering is something I’ve been looking for! Might be cool if there was a fresnel type SSS effect considering the clouds are likely more dense closer to the center. It would give it that “silver lining” look.

Anyways, I’m excited to see more!

Wow man…that looks very nice! Yeah…a good looking volumetric cloud solution for skies would definitely something very high up on my “DO WANT” list :smiley:

Just saw the new Just Cause 3 trailer and apparently they seem to have super awesome dynamic cloud/sky rendering! Very neat stuff :slight_smile:

Cheers!