Upcoming "Send to Unreal" add-on for Blender Feedback

First off, I’d like to thank the developers who worked on this addon. The exporting process is buttery smooth, and it’s great to see Epic supporting open source software!

I think there’s one main obstacle preventing this addon from being used in a production environment though. As far as I know, the only way to change the export path is via the settings in the addon. This is pretty cumbersome, especially when working on projects with hundreds of assets with different file paths for each type (props, architecture, etc.).

It would be great if the addon respected the collection hierarchy present in the blender file, and used that during the export process. This way, the user wouldn’t have to worry about export paths at all! Everything would be organized in the blend file, and would have 1:1 parity with the folder structure in unreal.

I took some screenshots to explain this visually. Curious to hear other people’s thoughts!

](filedata/fetch?id=1792067&d=1595552627)
](filedata/fetch?id=1792069&d=1595552559)
https://forums.unrealengine.com/core/image/gif;base64
​​

This addon is awesome.

+1 request for exporting custom collision meshes

Same issue here with exact same message and procedures…
What’s your antivirus/firewall ?

I have got the AVG Anti-Virus. And actually, I checked that, disabled my Antivirus, and here we go, it works!

So the next question would be, which path should be stored in the “allow”-list of the antivirus programm? I have tried several ones but it doesn´t seem to work?

greets

Peter

same issue. antivirus is off.
Has anyone resolved this error somehow?

Is there a way to import children objects combined as one model?

I have to apply all my modifiers and join the objects in Blender, which is a pretty terrible and destructive workflow.

Exactly. This is is what we need most. It is the only way to have animated meshes as particles in Niagara. No other way can be used. People with 3dsMax can do it, bur with Blender not.
Currently there is one man in the community that has made an addon, but I would prefer to rely in something supported by Epic Games when it comes to mantain the addon over newest Blender/Unreal versions.

I’m noticing some problems exporting static mesh assets and textures from blender: I’l love to point majorly on the problem, but I see that some export is not working on materials (I cannot figure the problem, because is really random on certain types of assets).
Where I can investigate, there’s some procedure to make sure materials and textures are exported (forcing, I mean), like exporting on blender FBX (copy, embed).

Don’t know if this is the right place to post this… I’ve followed the setup steps as far as enabling the two plugins in Unreal and restarting the Editor. After Editor restart when I search for Python, I don’t see the option I need (Python Enable Remote Execution). Anyone know why it’s not showing up in my Project Settings? I’m in UE 4.22.3.

Is there anyway to export collision meshes with this add-on? If I have a collision mesh with UCX_Mesh name UE4 just errors on import with a generic message (Something like “Can’t import”)

4.23 or higher :slight_smile:

Is StU unable to send sockets (empties) ?

So I’ve been looking all over for this, and there is just no documentation for this, is there?

I’m in particular interested in how to ensure that the collision of a mesh can get exported in such way that you can apply it directly as a custom collision inside unreal. This is especially relevant for instances such as stairs, which will usually want a ramp as the collision for the staircase itself, but then share collision with the remainder.

Seconding the collision export question. The near-total lack of documentation makes it trickier to find out clear answers about this - can we use the “UCX naming” method with this addon? Alternatively, how might we export custom collisions? Would be great not to have to default to complex col generation on the engine side. Can someone from Epic shed light?

(This might be covered in the livestreams but sitting through hours of video to find answers to every question is a challenging proposition. Hence the importance of good documentation.)

1 Like

The problem: I want to set Paths depending on the blender file name.
Question: Is it difficult to set paths in a blender python script and send it from this script. I’m not very familiar with python, but can someone point me in the right direction?

ps: This add-on is awesome.

Unless I am doing something wrong, the addon is not migrating some PBR textures correctly from Blender to Unreal. Specifically, I have had success with diffuse and normal maps, but metal and roughness transfer incorrectly. Metallic does not import regardless of the name being “metal”, “metalness”, or “metallic”. Roughness does import, but gets connectd to Metallic. I have not tested other types of map yet.

Result in Unreal:

I have a question concenring Blender scene collections. Been digging for info and can’t find an answer so here it goes:

Is there / will there be possibly support for multiple subcollections under the “Mesh” collection that’s contents export to Unreal?

as an example, I have a “Level Geometry” collection inside the “Mesh” collection. Inside the “Level Geometry” collection I have multiple collections like “Level1”, “Level2” and so on. Could the Send to Unreal addon perhaps keep the collection hierarchy I have inside blender, and copy it as folders in Unreal? So then my “Meshes” folder inside Unreal Engine would have subfolders just as I had them as collections in Blender… ?

I feel like it would make it much smoother to work on projects and would reduce the amount of moving stuff in and out of the “Mesh” collection inside Blender.

I’m more than happy to clear anything that might be confusing in my example. Sorry and thanks!

Hi, I am using the latest version of send 2 unreal and I am noticing some meshes export into UE5.2 while some don’t. All meshes have been added to the export folder.

Anyone know why this happens?