Upcoming "Send to Unreal" add-on for Blender Feedback

This should absolutely be a Project Path (probably, a reference to a .uproject file, for consistency) in the Addon settings - it makes no sense to put the actual content folder / object path in here, that’s going to be really painful if you have to change it every time you’re exporting something else.

For the Embark Blender Addon we do this, and store the relative paths and export names as extra properties on Collections in the scene - this means you can have as many objects as you like, group them up however you want (including sharing objects between collections) and specify offset pivots for each one as an Empty (again identified with custom properties) in the Collection.

This makes having large/complex scene setups very simple, which is vital for production, and I’d strongly recommend something similar for the Send To Unreal addon.

Any news about the plugin (send to unreal) ? or we have to wait until ‘Unreal V’, I have watched the demo; it was awesome. Please give us the plugin, let us break it. We are blender users love beta staffs.

I meant pivots for static meshes only. Not skeletal meshes.

This looks promising. Any updates that EPIC ( Baber) can provide on this plugin?

All- I don’t have any inside scoop info, NDA, etc. BUT!!! Please note that UnrealFest Online 2020 is on July 14th and there will be a presentation, “[FONT=sans-serif]How to Use Blender with Unreal[FONT=sans-serif]Engine”. Kaye will be talking about the Send to Unreal for Blender. Maybe this will finally be released? It would be a good time to do so. I hope so. I just upgraded to Blender 2.83 (downloaded it yesterday) and want to learn more about using Python in it. Someday I too hope Blender will be rolled into the Engine and we can work in one piece of software and have no more need to export/import into the Engine.

Please include support for static meshes in addition to animations, such as support for collision meshes, or the auto creation of collision meshes for you.

The project to connect to needs improvement.

• First, take it out of the settings and put it into the Blend file for people working on multiple projects simultaneously. It makes no sense in settings.
  • A better approach would be to have it seamless connect from the UE4 side via the python streaming plugin. The Megascans plugin works like this, the two just magically find each other
  • However this can be problematic if you have multiple projects open (as I frequently do). The utltimate solution is to have it, on the Blender side, display a list of running UE4 instances from which you can choose from. This setting is saved (in the blend file) and can be changed in the future.

It may have been mentioned in the livestreams and I missed it, but what about the ‘Reimport’ option in UE4? Normally when you, say, drag a FBX over to UE it remembers the original location and embeds it in the .uasset. This is a great system in which you can then reimport changes to the original FBX later (assuming you didn’t move it). How will this work here? Will the reimport link back to the .blend file?
Or, perhaps I’m understanding the location where files are read from now, maybe you’re supposed to have a single dumping ground where all the fbx exports go (you put in the Blender settings). Then the plugin exports the FBX to there, and sends the message over the socket to import from that location.

From watching the stream closely, it seems this is what it’s doing.

please make an addon to rig characters to the epic skeleton in blender. the rigify and blend to unreal scripts out there no longer function right and bones are never right/scale odd and following the rigify tutorials are useless now.

I SECOND THIS…

creating the collision on blender is a pain in the…backside lol

woks good but lost of work

NOW! (quote from the Unreal Fest stream)

https://github.com/EpicGames/BlenderTools

Page not found

And before people start posting the usual messages about getting a 404 from the url, its the usual situation, there is nothing wrong with the link, you need to have your github account setup with Epic properly so you can see these private repositories.

If the link still gives 404 after connecting accounts you should check on the https://github.com/EpicGames for a message with an invitation to join.

Thank you for creating this tool, it’s really awesome. :slight_smile:

I highly recommend auto-rig pro for Blender skinned mesh - this saves a ton of time in setting up a UE4 compatible skeleton and the export is perfect for the mannequin target. The author is really responsive and helpful. Not sure why Epic would fail to provide a tool to facilitate one of the hardest workflows in Blender, but I guess its good for the publishers of ARP and UEify.

the github url is wrong :slight_smile:

2 things I want:

1. Smoothing information to be transferred from Blender to UE4 correctly through this addon
  2. Detect the type of normal map used DirectX or BC5 in the project setting, and convert the normal maps accordingly while exporting (I think all it needs is invert)

Hello there,

Thanks a lot for this addon, the whole Blender community waited for this!

Sadly, I couldn´t make it work…

I have made all required steps for setting both Blender and UE4 up (enable python scripts etc), but when I send an object from Blender to Unreal, it give me this error (see pictures:)

Any suggestions?