Download

Untitled RPG Thing by a noob who has no idea what he's doing.

Hello! Thanks for reading.

Now, first things first. I think I made it pretty clear in the title, but when it comes to game development, I really am a rank amateur. I’ve done a bit of messing about with UE4, but only recently have I started making an effort to learn Blueprints and the basics of creating actual game elements, so the whole thing is a learning experience for me. I’m hesitant to create a thread here amongst so many others by talented, accomplished programmers and artists (I see Lost Soul Aside has a thread… that thing looks amazing), but I figured this might be a good way to track my progress and to motivate myself to keep at it. Also, it might be a good way to get advice and feedback, and perhaps to encourage noobs like me to give this game dev thing a go.

Anyway! Here’s a video of what I’ve got so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ueELFkKuKk

The character models are just placeholders taken from Fuse and animated with Mixamo. Character design is definitely the thing I’m worst at, so it’s not my priority at this point. Mainly I just wanted to figure out how to import models and handle basic animations. One of the appeals of the turn-based RPG style is the fact that animations can be pretty basic - nothing really has to interact in complex ways.

The static meshes are mainly taken from free sample projects on the UE4 marketplace - I’m sure people will recognise the Infinity Blades and Kite Demo assets. The textures come from a variety of free sources.

Obviously I have not yet paid any attention to the appearance of the menus - I’ve only started working on getting them functional in the last few days, and I’m still very much in the process of learning how they should work. The battle system has just been cobbled together in the best way I could figure out, but the more I learn the more I’m realising that I’ve gone about it in totally the wrong way and it’ll probably need completely changing.

Oh, and there’s no music or sound - that’s something I’m not even close to thinking about at this point!

My goal at the moment is to have the core battle, inventory and character stats systems fundamentally working within the next few months. Honestly, I think even that may be optimistic - I have soooo much to learn, and learning for me is a slow business. A longer term goal is to have a small but polished playable section of the game up and running by the end of the year. And from there? Not sure, but I guess I’ll have to decide if I want to keep working on this, or start again on something new using the skills and knowledge I’ll (hopefully) pick up while working on this. But who knows…

Well, thanks again for reading. Hopefully I’ll update once or twice a month, but my motivation is always fragile at best. Regardless, any and all constructive feedback is appreciated. Just… remember that I’m a noob :stuck_out_tongue:

This is really good for just the beginning! And don’t worry about the art or the sound; if the gameplay’s solid, that will speak for itself.

I’ve been messing around with UE4 myself for a while now, but only recently started working on a game-like-thing as well. My project’s a 3rd-person action-adventure game though, rather than an RPG. I don’t have anything I’m ready to show yet, so you’re actually ahead of me, to be honest.

Best of luck, and have fun!

Cheers :slight_smile: I’ll definitely need luck, but I’m also having fun, so… it’s all good!

Anyway, I figured I’d do a minor update, even though it’s going to be of very little interest to everyone who isn’t me (and at last count the number of people who aren’t me was significantly higher than the people that are me, which seems unfair somehow). I’ve been putting in a reasonable amount of time and effort, but have very little to show for it, as I’ve been messing around with the technical elements of menus and UI stuff without focusing at all on aesthetics. I have to say I’ve found it pretty **** frustrating, but I think I’m starting to get a bit of a handle on the way these things work.

I’ve also made the decision to go with a point-and-click interface, which was actually my original intention, but I couldn’t really figure out how to get the main character to navigate around using a mouse. I still haven’t really figured it out, but I’ve got it working in a very basic way, so I’m going to stick with it for now. The main reason I wanted to go in this direction was because the game will be quite text-heavy, more akin to a traditional Western RPG like Baldur’s gate than the JRPG style I was going for. So now I’ve got a text window down the bottom for dialogue etc, and will be able to add buttons for the inventory, status screen and so on.

I’ve added the ability to right click on certain objects to get some descriptive text. The cursor changes to a question mark when hovered over something clickable, but the default cursor is still the letter ‘A’, because… I haven’t got around to sorting that out yet :stuck_out_tongue: The only other vaguely significant thing I’ve done is create some basic ‘save game’ functionality, including a pillar that lights up when you get close to it, and allows you to save your game when you click on it.

Anyway, here’s a couple of extremely uninteresting screenshots. Woo!

https://fych7a.bl3302.livefilestore.com/y4mZpBX6XIY7jPXiJ4BV1-4pxZsIpIMiGTAP1fAxKpMoGm0BYbRr2PFgly3gDAvy7MQ-QfuRICiXKUq899L_FCrkcbuKF4ZUbTMyhkgkMjz_PeWF52UIFvQyBprmAAA3ORJosu8nb9dotcb8i25EUi6Vpb410VPoVCx6faacPDZcitwdwFrct5dIwhg9btGR5Dl8A5PBuJ98FHoY_mOQngmzw?width=1024&height=553&cropmode=none

This is the dialogue system. I’m still working on making it all functional and sorting out the best ways to store all the dialogue and choices the player can make, and to be honest it’s doing my head in. Still, I feel like I’m getting there. Slowly.

https://fydqjg.bl3302.livefilestore.com/y4mUkVztnYhjguF5u_EZcE_360iXsRLKuquSDCoMe3ElYFMrkS0zg0k-tTZ9BzxxdugUq8Y9Zb25Ua84wMj7jnDVdFjSJrKjkmLUEP83z4FgqJ3_5cCH2xzxF8czEgh67s4lDCbFOPILcI_bmkqhLIA8ZZh0SkNfMW4975yd53w1h8nhU7VpCV0w3Au9aPv-VYcuNvqGfUrgbzbSFbjASwQkQ?width=1024&height=551&cropmode=none

Right-click text example.

https://fyagea.bl3302.livefilestore.com/y4mLcVwp0b0T8gLFfJIKMYb4Pe4fRdShVkqO4kYD3cBqiDF1OlvOW_IzbRPaW3dq0IAYchxZqnXhLg-6naaaP1btZIBxNBYefIvH_NPE_nc5iiHUEC8R7IxhOdTpXHy-FsuGMECuo5Ap56mh5xaiwLEvCVis56gvnveloklu6v5FLWg2ZZKO6GVidIPt1LD_WJMhishJnY2rnW1tGNjGEE2vw?width=1024&height=552&cropmode=none

The save game system. It does actually function, but I haven’t looked into how to save to specific slots and so on.

Welp, that’s it for now. Thanks for reading, random strangers! I know this is all pretty basic stuff for most of you, so let me reiterate - I acknowledge I have no idea what I’m doing :stuck_out_tongue:

For a noob who has no idea what he is doing this looks pretty cool :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: