UnrealDocTool

I’m trying to figure out how to run the UnrealDocTool, to auto generate documentation, like Epics online API documentation. This would be useful for anyone making heavy engine edits, as the normal API would no longer be accurate for your version of the engine.

The tool is located in \Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealDocTool if you’re unfamiliar with it.

Has anyone had any luck getting this working? Ideally, I’d like to get it to run on the engine code, and then eventually have it generate documentation of the framework of the game I’m working on, instead of the Unreal Documentation.

Hopefully this is the right place for this post.

As an an alternative, if no one is familiar with Unreal’s tool (which would be the ideal choice), does anyone know of any other working solutions for generating documentation for Unreal C++ code? I tried Doxygen (since it is what their tool is based off of), but could not get it to work with Unreal.

Looks like the tool has been removed from the github repo, though the udn documentation source files are still there. There was a change in 2017 that appears to be related:

[FONT=courier new]Change 3352392 on 2017/03/17 by Ben.Marsh

Remove UnrealDocTool binaries. This is distributed through a Visual Studio plugin now.

so, how to find the plugin for [FONT=courier new]Visual Studio?

I don’t know. The only official Visual Studio plugin for UE4 I know of is UnrealVS, but as far as I know, it doesn’t build documentation.

I was told by someone at Epic (a couple of years back now but I haven’t heard any different) that one part of the doc tool relies on a modified doxygen which can’t be distributed due to license terms, so at that time at least it wasn’t possible to use the tool.