UnrealBuildTool error on build machine

I’m trying to set up a dedicated build machine to build and package a UE4.9 project. Currently it’s a virtual machine and because of some 3D acceleration issues I can’t start epic launcher to install UE properly. Instead I’ve copied the install from another machine. Unfortunately I get the following error when building:

UnrealBuildTool: ERROR: Couldn't find target rules file for target 'UnrealHeaderTool' in rules assembly 'UE4ModuleRules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

I build the project using this command:

C:\build\unreal\MyGame>c:\unreal\4.9\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\RunUAT.bat BuildCookRun -project="c:\build\unreal\MyGame\MyGame.uproject" -platform=Win64 -clientconfig=Development -cook -allmaps -build -stage -pak -archive -archivedirectory="c:\build\out"

The full log can be found here. The same command works on a machine where UE has been installed normally. Any ideas why I get this error?

After deleting the “intermediate” directory for my project I get the same error on a computer where UE is installed normally, so it’s probably not the installation that is the issue.

Hello kalasa,

Is this issue occurring with an existing project of yours or with any project you try to build (even a blank project) on this other computer? You mention deleting the intermediate folder. If you’re doing this, are you generating the project files after to recreate these files that were deleted?

Also, have you tried any newer versions of the engine? That isn’t required as I’m guessing you wish to stay with 4.9, but I would be interested to know if it is happening in more recent builds.

We haven’t heard from you in a while, kalasa. Are you still experiencing these issues? If so, have you tried any of the methods in my previous comment? In the meantime, I’ll be marking this issue as resolved. Please feel free to leave a comment and the post will reopen.