UnrealBuildTool could not compile - Something to do with Roslyn?

I’m trying to build Unreal Engine from source, but when I do I run into this error when running the GenerateProjectFiles.bat:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\MSBuild\15.0\bin\Microsoft.CSharp.CurrentVersion.targets(
321,5): error MSB4019: The imported project "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\MSBuild\15.0
\bin\Roslyn\Microsoft.CSharp.Core.targets" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct,
 and that the file exists on disk. [C:\UnrealEngine-release\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.cspr
oj]
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\MSBuild\15.0\bin\Microsoft.CSharp.CurrentVersion.targets(
321,5): error MSB4019: The imported project "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\MSBuild\15.0
\bin\Roslyn\Microsoft.CSharp.Core.targets" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct,
 and that the file exists on disk. [C:\UnrealEngine-release\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.cspr
oj]

Any idea what could be causing this? I don’t have a Roslyn folder, but I don’t know why it would be looking for that in the first place. Thanks in advance!

Did you install the “desktop development with .net” package for VS? Unreal build tool is written in C#, so it’s necessary to compile it.

4 Likes

Ah, yep. That did it! Thanks :slight_smile:

Did it for me too :slight_smile:

Same here - thanks a lot ! <3

fixed! thanks

For me, I did install “desktop development with C++” and it work. Thank for you reply, it help me to found the solution