Unreal4 gross revenue

I said “More” than deserving. Not less than. Meaning the most deserving is Epic.
There is a ? behind the store front. As for a developer it’s % is not explainable to me. Why? Apple, Google, Msft, Sony make devices, and or operating systems. I understand their stores charge 30% Why an app does? Idk.

Oh I see, must have misunderstood :smiley:

If it were possible to unionize game dev. Than we could all go on strike until percentages were negotiated. LOL
That would **** off Wall Street so friggin much. Anyone want to see a digital sector market crash happen?

Hehe, I’m sure it is pretty clear, I am totally green in this area :slight_smile:
Have no clue how the retail marked is working in the computer games industry.
I have yet to create my first game. Will start out small and build up my skills knowing Rome was not build in one day, and big stuff is rarely build just by one person.

Generally I find Epics EULA to be quite generous, but I just imagine theoretical situations where stuff can be hard to calculate if calculations has to based on information you are not necessarily able to get.
I am the type who likes to know all the rules of the business in detail, before I start setting sails in a potentially wrong direction.

Are all of the common distribution methods for computer games constructed in a way that the developer/publisher always knows the gross revenue at the shops selling their games?
As I understand the EULA I am expected to be able to present correct data to Epic even if my “new and world overtaking” game only sells for 10 bucks total (way below the 3k$).

Let me see if I understand it correctly.

Shops like Steam, App Store, etc. act as sub providers taking a handling fee, so I am technically the one selling though them, whereas retail shops act as my customers, reselling it at their own prices, so gross revenue is calculated on the wholesale in that case?

Indie can build big. There are tons of examples of indie success. Mostly due to major corporations being “Parrot Factories” So when games come out that are unique. They are extremely successful. Think Braid, and superhot.
For me Personally. I would like to see my game just be liked. That’s all. I wouldn’t put a number on sales, and I don’t want it to be a blockbuster. Honestly. Just a nice artistic hand made game. That some people will like to play.
Everyone is using digital download, and I personally cant recall much Indie being on a disk at my local electronics store. Other than unravel. Again with a unique style of gameplay. Which was a small studio backed by EA. As of right now. It’s hard to get a computer with cd rom. It costs money to develop for console, and it costs bigger money to have that game on a disk on a shelf. Both Sony, and Msft have proprietary disks now. So Its not as though you’ll be able to burn copies in your garage. Long post made shorter. Just watch this. You Don't Need a F-ing Publisher - YouTube

Great talk you linked to. Been wondering a lot about using a publisher vs. self publishing.
I personally prefer digital downloads over hard copies. Both as a consumer and when I (hopefully) get to publish something.

My first success criteria is also just to have somebody actually like playing my game.
Second criteria is world domination… or maybe just that somebody would feel that my game would be worth spending a buck on :slight_smile: