Unreal won't import Alembic file

Hello and good afternoon everyone. I have this Alembic file I am trying to import into Unreal 4.23.1 This file is just a particle animation blobmesh. Every time I try to import it as either a Static mesh, Geo Cache, or Skeletal mesh the importer just fails and closes out. The output log doesn’t off any advice either. It just reads:

" AssetTools: New page: Importing BlobMesh_001_ReExport.abc
LogSlate: Window ‘Message’ being destroyed
LogAssetTools: Warning: Failed to import ‘…/…/…/…/…/…/…/Import/Displacement/BlobMesh_001_ReExport.ABC’. Failed to create asset ‘/Game/GeoDisplacement/Models/Water/BlobMesh_001_ReExport’.
Please see Output Log for details.
LogSlate: FSceneViewport::OnFocusLost() reason 0
LogFactory: FactoryCreateFile: StaticMesh with AlembicImportFactory (0 0 …/…/…/…/…/…/…/Import/Displacement/BlobMesh_001_ReExport_2.ABC)
LogSlate: Window ‘Alembic Cache Import Options’ being destroyed

I am under the assumption that its because there is only the particle effect and no geo being exported in the alembic, however I thought blobmesh converts objects into geo. If that is not that case, anyone have any ideas on how to convert my blobmesh to geo, or just have the importer work?

Figured it out, turns out if there’s no geo visible on frame 1, Unreal doesn’t that like that. I adjusted the animation to have geometry on frame 1 and it imported just fine.

8 Likes

Thanks, that solved it for me too!

thank you!!! You saved my day!!!

Thank you! I was wondering what I was doing wrong