Download

Unreal Vs Unity 5 for mobile 2d games - is unreal to powerful?

I am a beginner at programming and especially game development. I finished courses for android and iOS with teamtreehouse online in order to learn how to make mobile apps. However I am wanting to make mobile games, and that means I have to pic up a game engine.

I am planning on starting with simple 2d games (like you tap and something happens) and after going trough many pages of Unity vs Unreal it seems that Unity is better for mobile 2d game development.

According to some of the pages I read- Unreal is more for 3d gaming and can be to powerful (take up memory) for simple games.

However I do feel that I would like to make 3d games at one point (possibly for pc )and unreal sounds more appealing because of that.

What do you all think?

Is unreal just to powerful to make simple 2d mobile games and I should learn to use Unity? Or is Unreal capable of being lightweight enough to be used for simple mobile 2d game development?

ps games i would consider simple (relative to other games) and that are similar to the games i would like to start making include: flappy bird, bird climb, Guess the Brand, possibly panda pop, ect. You know games where you tap and something happens.

This totally depends on what your end product is going to be.

• If it’s about learning the engine, learn them both.
  • If it’s going to be a complicated 2D game, a game that runs on low-end hardware or phones. Go with Unity.
  • If you are just creating a project to learn the system, it doesn’t matter.

Unreal, in it’s current state, is unsuited for complicated 2D games or low-end hardware. Unity, in it’s current state, is missing allot of functionality that Unreal has.

Don’t limit yourself to one engine, you need a full toolbox to be a game dev.

We need a sticky with a breakdown of both engines or these threads are going to be endless.

I don’t think Unreal is too powerful … I just think Unreal’s mobile support needs some maturing first.

Having said that, you could make a mobile game with Unreal quite easily and with some manual tweaks and modifications you will be able to release the mobile game but it is not as easy as Unity … YET. 8-}

thanks! and i have spent some time looking at threads and some people have said that since the engine is meant for AAA games it takes to much space for simple games. I am not really sure if it is true tough and that is why I am asking haha. So are you recommending Unity for mobile development? Also you can recommend any game engine its just both of these are the most popular and support cross platform :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t mind learning both, its just I want to start with the best choice (and possibly not have to learn both) The game(s) I am wanting to start with (I do want to put them in the play store and app store ect) I think would be considered simple(like the ones i mentioned, one input: touching the screen) So i don’t think it is to complicated (relative to other games) a breakdown would be great and I have been looking around threads (I think I have read some of your posts, cool to see you reply haha) to make a choice, but I decided to post so I could get answers i specifically need. Also they both support ads and in app purchases right?

As I said … I would probably use UE4 because it has some advantages over Unity (don’t want to go in to that here) but it takes some manual processes and tweaking to get your game working nicely on mobile.

However Epic is releasing updates all the time and with each update the mobile supports gets better and better … IMHO I would stick with UE4 but just keep in mind that some stuff needs manual intervention.

For instance you can reduce the APK size … but you need to manually move files around. If you feel this is too much effort than Unity is the tool for you.

That is a tricky question that only an experienced dev here could answer. While both claim support, from what I read on both forums, it is spotty at best. Actually, this is going to sound funny, but Game Maker has pretty wicked in-game ad support with the fewest complaints on their forums.

Wait, qdelpeche, I think he has two of these threads going at once.

This is the older one.

Haha well as long as you can make ads and i n app purchases in unity and unreal i rather learn then use game maker since unreal and unity are free

Yeah i didnt know if i should post it in android or ios so i did both. I am new to this so sorry for a confusion.

Are there resources such as videos that teach you how to move things around manually? Because if there is i dont mind doing things manually.

Well no, all three come with the full version for ‘free’, but there are other cost to consider.

• Time and effort of initial itteration.
  • Royalty and 3rd part license cost.
  • Ect.

Unreal is not free, if you make over $3000 per quarter, you are going to pay 5% royalty of gross. Unity is ‘free’ up to $100,000 I think, then you need to pay $1500 per seat. Game Maker is, well, the pricing model changes from year to year, last I checked it was similar to Unity.

Learn all 3, then when you are comfortable, decide what suits your needs best. Unreal is awesome to learn due to Epic’s struggle to dominate industry standard. Unity is awesome to learn because of its quick iteration times and light framework. Game Maker is awesome to learn, because we all need tested in our patience ;p.

Actually, I am interested in that as well. Is there a tutorial for APK optimization? If not, can there be while we wait for Epic to get things straightened out?

I think I will learn them all eventually but to start off for simple mobile 2d games what would you recommend ? Another way to see this is if I said i will build flappy bird, don’t touch the white tilei mentioned, what engine would you recommend?

ps thank you for your responses and help! :slight_smile:

Again, this has to do what your intended results are. Are you learning to make a simple 2D game to learn design and the engine? Then go with Unreal. Are you making a simple 2D game to delve into app development and figure out the marketplace? Go with Unity. Personally, if you are totally new to game design, either is a good start. It is a long path. If you intend to work in the high-end development crowd, Unreal is great, if you intend to work on smaller things, Unity is also awesome.

Well i guess its both. I want to learn design and the engine, but I am starting with simple 2d games. I guess its more with me wanting to learn unreal because of the greater potential, but unity seems to be a better match since it aperantly is more of what i am looking for (mobile 2d games )

That’s what I am driving at. If you are wanting to learn about design and harness Unreal, then you need to make it in Unreal. If you are planning to make something that you can sell and have the least number of customer support hassles, I would push you into Unity. Unreal is a powerful ally, and even if you don’t stick with it, you will learn allot.

Are you implying that making mobile games in unreal would cause more customer problems and what ever you make on it would be harder to sell in comparison to Unity? if so why is that?

There are ways to reduce the APK size, but the build size is still huge. Also, there are some consistency problems between device types. Now, the last test I did was in 4.7.6, so what I might be saying could be total nonsense now. I couldn’t get a simple game to compile to my Asus Tegra 3, and one of our team members is a computer science major with a specialty in game engines, and he couldn’t get a separate project to work on his Samsung Galaxy. Take a look at the list of non-support devices to see what I mean:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/Android/DeviceCompatibility/index.html
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/iOS/DeviceCompatibility/index.html

Now take a look at Unity support devices (not a complete list, but Unity just seems to work with whatever meets its min-requirements.):

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/androids-that-work-with-unity-android.77388/
http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/21837/what-devices-does-android-pro-support.html

From what I can tell, people are having less trouble with basic engine features (probably because Unity is so stripped down in comparison).

Now I could be completely wrong with 4.8, and I would love for a mobile dev to hop and in and give their 2c.

interesting I definitely have to look more into this and with the current unreal engine! Thanks!