Unreal VR condo

A project I’ve been working on for a couple of weeks, a condo I lived in a couple of years ago, re-created to be able to explore it again in VR.
Most props (electronics, bed, sofa) comes from the marketplace or sketchfab, to save me most time. I did a couple (Frame, tables, tv table, desk…), but mostly work on the architexture/lighting.
Lighting is baked for best performances. I put a media player on the TV to make it fonctional.

16 Likes

Greetings, @632YcUAQd4N; I hope you’re doing well. Thank you for sharing the incredible recreation of your condo in VR here in the Unreal Engine Forums! Everything in your video looks so real it’s hard even to believe it’s a recreation and not just a personal recording. :laughing:

The little bits of personality you added are great. The xbox, guitar set, and action figures are adorable and really tell a story. (Especially the sunbathing cat!)

Do you have a plan to do more VR projects?

Thx! I used GPU lightmap baking, it allowed me to get a great lighting in about 1 minute for this entire scene.

I’m currently working on about 6 mini Vr projects :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The pleasure is all mine! Great decision using GPU lightmap baking; the lighting was terrific. :+1:

I can’t wait to see your other VR projects; keep up the great work. :grin:

6 VR projects, goodness! Just waiting for my own SAO day at this point :joy:

Congratulations to your amazing photorealistic project Unreal VR CONDO.

That is amazing! i wish to make my own game for VR long time ago since 2016, so i want to know how to integrate sketchfab on UE4/5 ? And how can i develop using VR (oculus quest 2) ?

Amazing job. I just started developing 3 weeks back and my first engine is unreal. I am currently working on figuring out how to design my future house and implement in VR. Seeing this really gets me motivated.

1 Like

Good job, thanks

Hi, the most important is to have prover uv for lightmap.
Best practice is to split your building by rooms or wall block. And make sure you have enough lightmap resolution. Increasing the LP resolution will boost the quality by a lot, but the light build by a lot too.
But if you use GPU lightmap its ultra fast. This scene took around 1-2 min to bake.

As for the VR, theres a defaut VR template in unreal. Only thing its its telepeort in 4.26. Not sure on 4.27.
It took me a while to figure smooth locomotion from youtube videos. But try to google it to find a VR free locomotion tuto.

1 Like

This looks amazing! Reminds me to those pictures Naughty Dog showed off Uncharted 4’s living room.

1 Like

yes bro same here

This is interesting, so couple of questions if you don’t mind:

1. I see what looks like SSR. I’m surprised that works without glitching out in instanced stereo (though last we tested it was 4.22). Have you tested what performance impact it has?
  2. SSR means you’re using deferred, so does that also mean you’re using TAA? And are you not finding that blurry or smeary compared to MSAA in forward?
  3. There’s also what looks like a planar reflection in the mirror? What did you do to not cripple the VR performance using that?

Hi, actually I disabled SSR beause they are a bit expensive. You can actually see some inconsistant reflection at wall junctions. But SSR works without any issue in VR, theyre just a bit expensive in my case.
I’m using deffered with TAA. Its true that its a bit blurry, I have to experiment in MSAA/fowrad, but I sometime have shader incompatibilty ( I’m using other scenes) and I find other AA to be very bad.
I sometime us a sharpen post process to boost the sharpness of my scenes. If you can increase you screen resolution, mixed with sharpen, you get a crystal clear image. But you need a powerfull machine.
I’m not using planar reflection, since I’m using other scenes, planar have an impact on perf even when you don’t use it I think.
I just used a box reflection.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply, that’s very interesting! You make extremely good use of the box reflections.

So, is AO then the only deferred feature you are using? Everything else could be accomplished in forward it seems?

Hi, Is ao only on deffered? Certainly everything I used here can be done in forward, its just I’m using props that might have incompatible shader and I didnt wanted to convert them. Maybe the glass, but you can surely find a nice looking glass in Forward.

Yes, Unreal’s AO relies on TAA to smooth it out, and since the whole point of forward (apart from performance) is to be able to use MSAA, that means that you can’t have good looking AO in Unreal using that (makes me long for the many, many 3rd party AO options you get in Unity).

Anyway, thank you again for the inspiration! It was very impressive to see.