Unreal to Maya - Blocking out

I guess this could also be seen as a level design pipeline question.
So my process that I want to do atm is

• Block out in Unreal
  • Export to Maya
  • Refine the block out, Bevels, edge loops add more detailed things to a model etc.
  • Zbrush for some things then to Substance painter
  • Back to Unreal

My issue is though.

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

I am no expert but it seems everything gets optimized in game to be triangulated. Which for example if I want to bevel an edge I now have to say select all the faces of the floor. Whereas that same asset made in Maya would be one face. Or I have to delete the extra edges.

Because as the last image shows I can not just click on edge and say bevel it as it will cause issues.

I have a feeling that this is more an issue of my workflow being crap but w/e :smiley:
I mean when people blockout more simple scenes they still use the blockouts right but add detail to them?

Just to add when I export from Unity to Maya. I do not get this issue.

Hey there @Brucel33t0! Welcome to the community! So some of the Unreal modeling tools are intended to auto triangulate and try to do some optimization off the bat. If you want to keep your pipeline as is, it’s best to handle it like a classic block-out. Just basic shapes and sizing, but create new geo and optimize it how you’d like in Maya. I used to work the same way coming from Unity/Maya as well, so I definitely get the appeal.

Yea, that is an option. Although the Unreal Modelling tools are otherwise great for blocking out. The cube grid tool in particular.
I guess another option is just to use Unity for blocking out :smiley:

If anyone has a Maya/Unreal long form Level design video that shows someones process for making a level I’d appreciate it.

I’d rather do it the way the industry does it. As having Unity as part of my workflow for Unreal maps is stupid lol.

1 Like

Hey @Brucel33t0! Welcome to the Forums!

While I don’t have a long form video for you, Unreal Engine does support Live Link, allowing you to model and block out directly in Maya and see what you are working with in Unreal.

Here is the official documentation:

I hope the above helps contribute to your workflow.

1 Like