Unreal requires reloading project for code to work and breaks blueprints

Hello.

I am new to Unreal Engine and it is already driving me insane, with very simple stuff.

I have created the default Third Person project (C++ base).
Hit play, everything runs fine!
I open up the default character class and just change the name of a default subobject

Let’s say I change the TEXT(“CameraBoom”) to TEXT(“CameraBoomBoom”)

Save code (cntrl+s)-> Go to unreal and click Compile → Compiles OK.

Click Play → Camera Movement is broken and the name of the component is NOT changed!

Re-open project → Camera Movement works fine → name is updated to “CameraBoomBoom”(only in ‘World Outliner’ hierarchy, not in the blueprint that inherits from the C++ class)

Alright, it works, but I can no longer interact with the “CameraBoom” object, the BluePrint itself is JUST broken !!!
It is missing all the things on the right of the blueprint menu and I can not use the transform handle to move the CameraBoom component

Okay, weird, maybe the name breaks it? Alright, change it back to “CameraBoom” → Recompile from within Unreal → save everything → even click recompile and save on the blueprint itself → reload the project!

Well, it works, but the blueprint REMAINS broken!! I just can not move that component anymore or interact with it !!! The only way to fix it is to just make a NEW project. I tried to rebuild from VS, Unreal, Save and recompile blueprints, reload projects, reload visual studio. NOTHING HELPS, it just remains broken.

This is really overwhelming and makes no sense at ALL!
Can somebody help me with this and point out what could be wrong? I am trying to solve this for a long time, and I can not imagine myself working in this kind of environment if I have to restart the whole project on each recompile. And even if I revert a code change that broke something to its original state, it will remain broken.

1 Like

This is really weird. For me, it does not get fixed whatever I do. It does it for every component and it just breaks any blueprint. I can not believe a game engine this BIG can be so buggy and sloppy. I might have to dump C++ for now and just use blueprints.

While I am not sure of the specifics, changing the name of the object in the constructor (specifically in CreateDefaultSubobject appears to be exactly what causes the issue. It also seems once the component is broken, changing the name back does not appear to fix it.

For me, closing the editor fully and restarting appears to fix the issue.

bump…

UE 5.1.1 bump