Unreal Physics Constraint behaving differently when weight down by heavy component or heavy actor

Hello, I am running into an issue where physically constraints seem to treat weight from an actor differently than weight from attached components under its own actor.

In the attached video I have 2 scales. Both scales have the same exact physics constraint attached to an invisible non-moving center point:

• Locking everything besides z (limited to 200)
  • Linear motor trying to get z back to 0 with a strength of 200

The difference between the scales is on the left scale I have am placing a cube with a weight of 4000kg onto it and noticing it dips heavily (as expected!). On the right scale I am adding a component attached to the static mesh of the scale that weighs 14000kg (more than the other but further emphasizes the point) and the scale does not go down nearly as far as the scale on the left even though the overall weight is much heavier.

I would expect the scale on the right to dip down further in this scenario and, besides the bouncing from the actor dropping initially, I would expect if their weights were the same they would level out at the same position.

Is there any way to achieve what I am trying to do?

Video:
2024-02-22 17-17-44.mkv (16.0 MB)

1 Like

Iā€™m having a similar issue. Constraints do not seem to handle the weight or mass of actors or components that are directly attached to them. It seems to me that the mass of attached components is being ignored.

1 Like