Unreal freezes on 96%

source of problem appears to be including Starter Content in a new project, or migrating it to a project for first time. We believe it’s getting caught at stage where it compresses all textures, which can take a very long time depending on project, even on a powerful Mac. We’re checking to see if these template projects don’t include prebuilt DerivedDataCache or if there’s some other rendering problem. I’ll keep this post updated as I get more information. Thanks for your patience!

Thanks . I created a new Blank Blueprint program with Starter Content Unchecked and it created new project in a timely manner. No freezing as you said. other defaults were High Quality and Desktop build.

BTW I noticed touchy viewpoint navigation thing seemed linked to my camera speed. I dropped it down to ‘4’ which helped. orange outline that surrounds an object of selection still seems fuzzy. Like it’s flickering at a high speed showing some aliasing (jagged lines) around object (insert cube as example). I don’t know if this is linked to Intel Iris driver but to me it seems it’s hard to see other objects in relation to each other in same view unless I select them individually. Switching from Wireframe to Lit helped me a little. Maybe it’s just me getting used to editor.

I still think my battery is rapidly draining with UE4 running idle. I lose 15% in 20min. Is there a preferred cpu utilization program that I can run to provide you more data? Is starting quality affecting this?

Thank you for work around. I want to get up to speed learning UE4. I’ve read both UE for Unity Users Guides as my background is with Unity Pro. If you know a complete starter project tutorial as a next step I’m all ears.

Hey Tomo,

There’s a couple things you could check. First, make sure Use Less CPU when in Background (Unreal Editor > Preferences > Miscellaneous). This is a good setting to use on laptops as you switch between windows. Next, in Settings dropdown menu, go to Engine Scalability Settings and try lowering Quality from Epic. If you’re having trouble moving things in Viewport, you can also disable Realtime ( arrow dropdown in Viewport window). Additionally, you may want to minimize Launcher to Dock (or close it) while you’re editing.

If you’re still having performance/battery issues, please feel free to open a new post and we can address it there. There are also a number of other posts on AnswerHub you can search for that might already have a solution that works for you.

We don’t have a tutorial that covers a complete project yet, though I believe our documentation team is working on some. There are plenty of very good tutorials out there, though, to help get you started. Check out Community Content, Tools, and Tutorials section of forums:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/forumdisplay.php?12-Community-Content-Tools-and-Tutorials

Hope that helps!

Thanks for tips. And much thanks for forum link! You know UE should include a Mac users section for getting started guides. Most of tutorials show both commands for hot keys but they don’t take Trackpad users into account.

I went and applied most of your suggestions. I also tried switching Quality to 2D / 3D Scalable in Project Settings.

Engine Scalability Settings - Auto detect quality put my machine in mostly Medium settings with a Low for Particle Effects.

Note even after applying changes and relaunching UE4Editor… CPU fan gets really loud. If I switch window to Safari fan speed goes back to normal. This is really strange. It’s not like I’m playing game in simulation. After a few moments of switching windows you will hear fan ramping up in RPMs.

Yea, that’s normal for Macs, that happens on ours as well.

I’ll mention your suggestion about Mac trackpad inclusion in getting started guides to documentation team. Thanks for that feedback!

I had this problem a few days ago just after I enabling “Substance Plug-in”.
After restart UE, UE ask me if I want to rebuild something about texture.

I notice that we all use Mac!

I have enabled my Substance Plug-in,
whether they have enabled Substance Plug-in?

Mac + Substance Plug-in = 96% ?!

How about other Mac users?