Unreal file assocation not working

For some reason my .uproject files are no longer associated with Unreal, and I can’t seem to fix it. The “Generate Project Files” (and other Unreal options) are also missing when I right click the project files in explorer.

Does anyone know how to restore the file mapping without reinstalling? I’ve tried right clicking and associating the file type with UnrealEngineLauncher.exe and UnrealVersionSelect.exe, but nothing seems to work.

Go to {UE4Folder}\Engine\Binaries\Win64 and run UnrealVersionSelector-Win64-Shipping.exe

Hey -

Are you using the binary version of the engine from the Launcher or a source built engine? Is this affecting a single project or multiple projects and/or new projects? Please let us know if you’re able to think of anything else related to this problem.

Cheers

Hello ,

Since I haven’t had this issue occur for me personally, I can’t be completely sure that this fix will work but another user reported a similar issue to this over at this location, where I left a possible fix of my own.

Could you give that fix a try and see if it works for you?

Also, so that we can try to narrow down what is causing this to happen in the first place, what OS version are you using and on what drive did you install 4.11? Is it in the same location as your other engine versions?

Hi ,

This didn’t work. It’ll launch the editor, but won’t change the file association, even I select “Always Open this App…”. And the right-click options for generating project files, etc aren’t available either.

The Launcher does ask to fix the file association, but it doesn’t do anything…

Using Windows 10, c:\ drive, same location as 4.10.

I can’t see a Win64 version, but the Win32 version didn’t work

Hi ,

Prebuilt binaries, everything downloaded from the launcher. It affects all my projects, both fro 4.10 and 4.11. This may have started happening after installing the 4.11 release (I didn’t have any pre-release for 4.11, just 4.10).

As commented below, Windows 10, installed on c: drive.

Please let me know if you need anything else!

Thank you for giving that a try and for the information. Could you see if this file exists on your computer?

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\Launcher\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealVersionSelector.exe

Also, please download this text file and rename it to replace the .txt extension with .bat. After running that, a .txt file should be generated in the same location. Can you do this and upload the text file that is output? It should give us some more information on your environment and help diagnose this issue.

Edit: Also, I know you mentioned that you’re on Windows 10, but is it Home, Professional, Educational, or Enterprise?

Have you had a chance to look into getting that information I requested in my previous comment? We would like to find out what is causing this problem so that we can fix it for you.

Hi ,

Thanks for following up, I appreciate it!

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\Launcher\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealVersionSelector.exe

doesn’t exist, but a Program files (x86) version does.

Windows 10 Pro. Log attached!

Thanks again!

link text

Is there a reason that you know of that your launcher is installed in the x86 directory instead of the normal program files? The x86 directory is for 32 bit applications, while Epic Games Launcher is a 64 bit application. This could be causing the problems. If you cannot think of a reason as to why it is in that location, can you try installing the launcher and ensuring that it ends up in the normal Program Files directory?

Hi

The Epic Launcher is installed by default in the Program Files (x86) directory. I just verified this on a fresh install of Windows 10.

Thank you for that clarification. I have another file for you that should be able to remove the override that could be affecting the file association. RemoveOverride.txt. This one needs its extension changed as well. Please change this from a .txt to a .reg and then double-click it.

If this doesn’t fix the problem, can you try running that last batch file again? The .txt it output seems to of gotten cut off due to pressing some keys during the process, I forgot to mention to avoid doing that.