Unreal Engine's UI laggs

yes [character fillup]

Killing GeForce didn’t do anything, I’ll try to downgrade my drivers…

I am running only the UE, nothing else and the lag still occurs. I am not using anything unusual.

Ok so I have downgraded my driver from 461.92 to the previous one 461.72, unfortunately that did not resolve the issue.

Animations were disabled already, I don’t use VPN, disabling my antivirus unfortunately did not resolve the issue.

Hello,
I have just started learning UE (I’m doing the Hour of code tutorials) but my UE laggs a lot and is quite pain to use.
The whole UI laggs for a bit cca every 1-2 seconds (everything inbetween is smooth), even when I am not in the game, I can just move scrollbar in the content browser and even that will produce the same lag.

Also, the weird part is my pc is not overwhelmed at all. While actively using Unreal Engine (including when the laggs occur),I have:

<= 20 % CPU usage

<= 50 % RAM usage

<= 2 % HDD usage

<= 35 % GPU usage

(my pc definitely satisfies the requirements of UE)

I have tried some benchmarking with Heaven Benchmark 4.0, where I get pretty steady 75 FPS (locked) on extreme preset, with no such laggs.

To make sure this happens only in the Unreal Engine and there is not some kind of problem with my pc, I also ran the benchmark right next to the UE. UE had the same lags, while the benchmark behind it ran smoothly.

What can I do to get rid of the lags?

It’s NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

how do I do it?

When I move my cursor to the game preview, it’s (FPS) ~75, in ui around it’s about 30-40, however it periodically drops into red numbers, even when I am doing nothing at all.

nVidia card?

Try killing the GeForce Experience thingy - see if this helps. There’s also a driver related bug in the most recent drivers that causes interface glitches, flickers.

Essentially, the editor is sensitive to overlays some software runs in the background and this sometimes manifests very weirdly :expressionless: It’s inconsistent. See if you’re running anything that could interfere. Like a wallpaper engine, rainmaker, or something esoteric / non standard.

I remember GeForce Experience giving folks pretty poor experience not so long ago.

Hard to tell, you could try disabling window animations (if enabled):

333020-screenshot-4.jpg

They were reported to be glitching. [And still do.][2]

Every now and then some sort of incompatibility pops up. Are you behind a VPN or have an overly aggressive antivirus software?

What brand is your GeForce?

Try changing RHI to DirectX 12

When you’re in the viewport, you can hit Ctrl+Shift+H to show frametime. Does it change dramatically when you hover over the UI?

333031-screenshot-7.jpg

That might be it as well.

So it’s not one of the EVGA / other brand super duper overclocked card with a fancy panel where you can overclock and such?

Just going through the checklist…

Doubt that.

I have launched the UE using .\UE4Editor.exe -DX12, however that unfortunately did not resolve the issue.