Unreal Engine VR Preview stops instantly. [2023]

This is new and unsure if it has to do with an Oculus update, but the second I start a VR preview it closes instantly.

I have restarted and tried several projects, Oculus plugin, or OpenXR, fails instantly either way with the following error:

LogHMD: FOpenXRHMD is requesting app exit. CurrentSessionState: XR_SESSION_STATE_EXITING

The second the world is called up for play OpenXR closes it.

What gives? Immediately ruins all VR development.

Hey there @RealAero! I don’t have experience with the Oculus plugin, but OpenXR giving out the exit session state tends to come from the oculus software or SteamVR lose the HMD’s connection. Are both showing that the headset is recognized?

2 Likes

The headset never disconnects and always remains fully stable and functional as far as connectivity.

I found out its likely an Oculus update.

I have used Link a very ton and it seems to have a new behavior.

I usually work in VR with the virtual Oculus Desktop screen, and when the “loading game” panel showing Unreal Engine appears while opening my project, I usually close it, to continue seeing the desktop. If I close it now, when I press VR preview, it exits immediately with the OpenXR command in the main post.

I found a workaround, that if I stay on the loading screen and when the project opens, hit VR Preview from looking at my monitor and then escape once, it goes back to the desktop in VR, and then I can use VR Preview as normal.

It never used to do this. Also my PC audio when I see the “loading game” Unreal Panel, as well as when I am in VR preview stutters hardcore making a very windy sound of whatever was playing at that moment, as if it was looping the last 16th of a second over and over.

These both just started happening and OpenXR runtime is correct and I have restarted my computer several times. I can only assume my Oculus app updated, and its a new bug.

I’m seeing a couple of reports now saying roughly the same thing with a couple of variations. Are you using the Quest 1, 2, or the Rift?

1 Like

I am using the Quest Pro!

Oooh fancy! Rarer to get reports on the higher end hardware so that’s great data. In other issues like this I’m seeing some of the users (mostly Quest 2 users) aren’t able to even connect to OpenXR sessions at all even if SteamVR’s handshake goes well. I’m in agreeance that it looks like an update may have caused it due to the jump in these reports lately. Though I can’t replicate it on my Q2 here.

1 Like

Hopefully they can fix it :slight_smile:

Update: Just got more information, a (Quest 2)user got this fixed by reinstalling the Oculus PC side drivers.