Unreal Engine source build takes too long

I am trying to build unreal from source build to be able to access server build but after generating the project files and set configuration to development editor and start UE project build it takes almost 6 hours and too much space on my hard up to 150 GB and after al that it gave me error invalid or corrupt file: no symbol for COMDAT section number 0x3
I am trying to build it again now
can anyone help on how to make the build success in less time ?

Build times are dependent on your current hardware. Slower drives will increase build times based read/write speed. CPU is also a factor in build times. The very first build will always be the longest. While i do not boast great hardware my build times avg 1-3 hours depending on which version i am building. As for the size of the install, this depends on what you are trying to build. RAM can also cause issues with builds. Slower ram reduces package decompression times. Some will argue, however i have tested this on systems that simply swap ram and build times fluctuate. As for the error you are receiving, unfortunately i am not familiar with it.

i figured my issue and it was because of my hard drive
it was slow so it toke too much time and i moved the project to ssd and it worked fine in just 2 hours or less i think so i want to thank you very much for ur cooperation alot

see you later, thanks neo :slight_smile:

well that’s strange because UE5 build from source will probably take me 6+ hours. It’s been going for over 2.5 hours now and it’s at [1110/5800] Compile Module.AppleARKit.cpp…

and my PC CPU & drive are top of the line

idk what’s wrong

The first compile is always the longest, when i rebuild it i get about ~3-4 hours, consecutive builds are less than 30 minutes depending on what i changed or if i updated.

Since i started building with Visual studio 2022 my build times are less than 3 hours and continue to get quicker.

I’m trying to compile on windows 10 with an i5 10400f processor and 16gb of ram on a hard drive… It takes about 8 hours and it throws an error…

I also compiled unreal engine for linux ubuntu using a hard disk and as a surprise it compiled in only 1 hour.
There is something strange in windows that the compilations take much longer or windows for compilations is terrible…

1 Like

I’d been build UE 5.1 Source codes to configure Multi-play for dedicated server.
It takes too much times building Unreal Engine GitHub Source codes.
Here is my memo.

â—Ź Hardware Specification

• CPU : R7 5800H
  • RAM : 32GB
  • GPU : RTX 3060M 6GB (Whatever)
  • NVMe(System Disk) : Hynix SSD 0.5TB (Remain 250 GB)
  • NVMe(Solution and build Disk) : P31 Gold 1TB (Remain Volume 800GB)

â—Ź Build Times (UE-5.1)

1. [VS2022] Editor Target(UE5 Project Only) : 6H 13M
  2. [VS2022] Debug Start : 6H 10M
    :arrow_forward::arrow_forward: Unreal Engine Size for UE5 Project Only : 263GB
  3. [UEE] Packaging Sample Project - ThirdPersonMap for Server Target : 1H 31M
  4. [UEE] Packaging Sample Project - ThirdPersonMap for Standalone Target : More than 6H
  5. [VS2022] (But, Standalone build hadn’t baked Lights) Editor Target(All solution UE) build : 13H 16M
    :arrow_forward::arrow_forward: Unreal Engine Size for All projects of UE5’s : 351GB
  6. [UEE] Packaging Sample Project - ThirdPersonMap for Standalone Target : 1H 40M

It takes about 35 hours…

I’m having the same problem … it’s discouraging. Is there no other way to use the dedicated server, straight with the standard installer from Unreal? The compilation of the source code took more than 10 hours on my machine and when I try to start, I get “Unrealeditor Bad Image” …

Similar issues here. Ryzen 5 3600 + 16GB RAM consistently taking about ~24 hours to compile.

16 GB is nowhere near enough.