Unreal Engine sends crash report each time opened but still operates normally?

Hey, I’m running into a weird issue where each time I open unreal engine (or sometimes the epic games launcher), it will show me a screen saying that unreal has crashed but for some reason the engine still launches and I am able to operate inside of it just fine. I’m very confused why its sending me this crash report. This is the error log I get from the UE4 crash reporter:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000000

msctf
msctf
msctf
msctf
msctf
msctf
msctf
imm32
imm32
msctf
msctf
msctf
imm32
imm32
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll

If anyone knows why this is occurring, please let me know.

1 Like

Is this happen on a specific project only or all projects?
I think it could be a plugin which the OnShutdown function doesn’t programmed properly. Try make a new blank project.
If it still happen, try verify the engine files.

Thank you for your reply. I tried opening a blank project and it doesn’t show that error but my other project shows the error message, so I’m guessing its a plugin issue. How do I know what plugin is causing this issue?

It could be tricky. Based on the crash messages, it is related to a plugin which does create a window (either editor window or in-game window) or you can just disable plugin one by one.

Make sure to backup your project before making changes.

Hey, sorry for not replying earlier, but now for some reason the error also happens with new projects. Whenever I open or close a project, it always throws a crash log. I installed the engine symbols for debugging now so now the crash log looks like this:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000000

msctf
msctf
msctf
msctf
msctf
msctf
msctf
imm32
imm32
msctf
msctf
msctf
imm32
imm32
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsTextInputMethodSystem::Terminate() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsTextInputMethodSystem.cpp:593]
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::~FWindowsApplication() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:323]
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::`vector deleting destructor’()
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::Shutdown() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:712]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Exit() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:4166]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:182]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:137]
UE4Editor!WinMain() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:268]
UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [d:\agent_work\5\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll

Hello. Have you then solved it? Unfortunately I also have the same problem?

No, I haven’t fixed my problem unfortunately. I tried disabling the plugins one by one but that didn’t help so I gave up. The engine still works fine for me.

I also had the same problem with Unreal Engine 4.26, and found that this bug has been fixed since Unreal Engine 5.0.
Costom build is required, but applying the following fix to FWindowsTextInputMethodSystem::Terminate() solved the problem.

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/536028d500df2b9c8602d2d9d2d56c98549fa1f7
Re-ordered IME shutdown to release the IMM context prior to destroying the TSF thread manager