Unreal Engine: Now Available to Everyone for Free

Looks like Epic’s server are flooded with download queues already :wink:

Fantastic!! thanks.

see you at GDC

[= ;234434]
Looks like Epic’s server are flooded with download queues already :wink:
[/]

It is! Anyone experiencing slow downloads, please be patient. We are fixing up servers to help with the influx, but they’re still a bit laggy. should be cleared up shortly. Hope is enjoying UE4!

EPIC GAMES, I love you :slight_smile:

THANKS
:cool:

Unbelievable…
WOW!!!:smiley:

(Re. those 2 posts about age related influx, most of us are justifiably disregarding them, as I hope Epic will. However that said, a more visual and dedicated “Learner / Beginners” area on the forum would be beneficial ( or alternatively a "Pro Area for more technical advice))

I may be one of those who benefit more by vision.

I have been trying to decide if I can afford for over a year, (due to injury, any spending of type of would be funds away from my bills, heating food)

So there I was, with time on my hands, but 0 funds, so I just followed along, read the forum and kind of thought that Epic were using the subscription to backdoor the cost (as I believed to really use the Engine constant updates and bug fixes were needed).

Then they made it free to students, that was impressive, but no real help for me, who just wanted the Engine to play around in and as a distraction, didn’t want to start something that I would get frustrated with because I couldn’t afford the bug fix updates.

There was a lot of internal debate and shuffling of funds, I finally decided, because of the great forum, and Epic’s obvious support and community management (despite some of the really inane posts on the forums… =p) that I would buy one months and then cancel and play around with it, with a view to buy another in 12 months.

After a month with a hotwater bottle and a duvet instead of having my heating on, the money was there, and I bought about a week ago.
Really impressed with the content on the Marketplace, but more so with the content on the Learn tab I hope epic keeps putting things in there.

Then email! Epic is declaring war on the game market and making a paradigm shift, which will usher in massive interest and development for Virtual reality and Augmented reality solutions, as well as the more established PC and mobile game markets.

To know I will be able to get future updates, bug fixes and features is incredible,
It makes anything you learn or do with the engine into a bankable life skill that has no future cost, so no worries or indecisions about having to sell lame content, or rush out games.

Using what was for me 6 weeks savings, to buy one months worth of the Engine+Upgrades, was a leap of faith, I expected to use it for a while until needing to upgrade, and then drift away, and maybe look at other things. Now I can fully commit to as my Engine of choice. Getting back that payment is massive to me…

Why am a spouting all the drivel at you?
Just to give a different perspective, and to show that we all come here from different places, with different perspectives, but most of all to
****THANK and all at Epic ****for making such a momentous decision.
I’m sure there will be massive change in the market because of and it will be to Epics benefit.

Thanks Epic, pretty amazing deal for involved.

Between the engine now being free, and the new dev grants, it is really doing a lot for the community. That’s really amazing.

I myself am new to Unreal, think I have maybe paid 2 subscription periods only, and still learning quite a bit of things, but it is really pretty nice to use, with tons of support and help along the way where needed.

Again, thanks for providing these options for who would normally not be able to get funding for such projects. I wish you all the best and look forward to what the community creates with Unreal. Really looking forward to see how Fortnite turns out also, not normally my style of game but very intriguing with a lot of features I would normally like in a game, and pretty excited to check it out when that time comes.

Epic are doing so much for bringing down the barriers to entry into game development.
Great times!

I have just spend all night enjoying people happy reactions about UE4 turning free! :slight_smile:
Thank you Epic Games! Thank you Epic !

1>------ Build started: Unreal! thanks to all the ppl at Epic for !

WoW! I registered with UE some days ago and now it’s free! + 30$ in my pocket :cool:
will gonna change the game development world.

Thanks Epic, you are a very kind and lovely giant :wink:

[= ;234136]

://i1234.photobucket/albums/ff408/BrUnOXaVIeR/UE4fa_zpsowggzslf.jpg~original

2 ! LOL

I had been away as I’ve managed to come across some paying work, came in to check the forums and see something about free.

Thought can’t be right!? UE4 is such an amazing deal already…
Opened the launcher and I can update…
AND there’s $30 in my account!

Such wow, very amazing.

As someone currently living in a country where I don’t speak the language it’s not so easy to get cash in the door, is huge guys thanks heaps.

Can’t wait to see what’s going on at GDC as well.

<3.

Today is not April 1st is it?..nah its not.

At first I had trouble believing it.

I was about to renew my subscription week. hehe

wow.im new here. i came from other game engine .now im happy that im a part of world best game engine now.unreal engine rocks.from today im gonna use unreal.yeppi!

Let me someone from the Unity forums, since there is quiet some discussion about UE4s price changing.

[]
Just gave Unreal another spin. I mean why not, since it’s free and I already have an account.

But boy, the engine is now even more unstable than it was when I tried it a year ago. First launch, boom, sudden crash. Second try, third person template. Importing one of my meshes, getting lots of warnings. Try to scale the mesh up in the inspector, whole computer crashes.

Sorry, but what does the best graphics, an free engine and all the fancy tools help me, when the engine frequently crashes? And reading their forums, is a for a lot users.
[/]

is exactly the problem.

In my opinion Epic should have collected the 19$ a month at least some more months to have more money to hire developers to just getting UE4 to be something like “stable”. Now they don’t get the 19$ per month so they have even less money.

If Epic thinks “We have enough money, we don’t need the 19$ per month, a low entry barrier is more important than the money we loose” than that is very nice, but not as long as the engine is not in a really usable, stable state.

But of course I also get that Epic needed to make the change now during GDC to compete against Unity’s todays/tomorrows announcement that Unity 5 will be (almost) free and/or the cooperation with microsoft.

[= ;234680]
Let me someone from the Unity forums, since there is quiet some discussion about UE4s price changing.

is exactly the problem.

In my opinion Epic should have collected the 19$ a month at least some more months to have more money to hire developers to just getting UE4 to be something like “stable”. Now they don’t get the 19$ per month so they have even less money.

If Epic thinks “We have enough money, we don’t need the 19$ per month, a low entry barrier is more important than the money we loose” than that is very nice, but not as long as the engine is not in a really usable, stable state.

But of course I also get that Epic needed to make the change now during GDC to compete against Unity’s todays/tomorrows announcement that Unity 5 will be (almost) free and/or the cooperation with microsoft.
[/]

Agreed, rather them charge double and hire more staff for support / fixes than go free.

[= ;234680]

is exactly the problem.

[/]

With Tencent’s backing, Epic has all the money it needs to continue developing full speed ahead. And I really don’t think it matters what UT does at point.

Per the bugs, that’s been the major focus of latest release. If you’ve been keeping track of the update thread, you’d see the UE4 team is still working diligently to address all bug reports, especially critical ones. I think the addition of components and some other major changes presented extra challenges for 4.7, but the team here is responsive and extremely talented, and I’d expect stability to improve a great deal over the next minor release or two.

[=;234694]
Agreed, rather them charge double and hire more staff for support / fixes than go free.
[/]

There’s been a lot of change with engine along with Unity recently. I would expect some transitional issues.

The fact that the process is very open with engine, and the progress consistent, I have a lot of faith going forward.
If they project to continue progress at the same pace, in addition to offering open access to licenses I think it’s great.

Do you consider that maybe deal will mean more people might contribute to improving the engine for free?

I don’t think things are so clear cut, and I think it’s an Epic move.

so if the game sold 3700$ on Q1, 2800$ on Q2, and 1200$ on Q3, would the total royalty be 5% of 7700$(all sales), 5% of 3700$(all sales from quaters which exceeded 3000$), 5% of 4700$(all sales - 3000$) or 5% of 700$ (all sales past 3000$/quater).