Unreal engine Mass Ram usage

Hey there,

So lately i’ve been getting errors Unreal Engine is getting out of hand with the ram usage. currently is using 8.7Gb of ram. Which is quite high for a world in width that might only be 2-3Km in character size. To be exact it’s using 8.729.546K of my ram. The world does look big but i can imagine certain games to have much bigger maps. As when i start unreal engine it only uses 4gb, but after 2h of letting it idle when i have to go or something, it just always increments to high value’s to a point my windows starts complaining. I do have 16Gb of ram but still, i also have other dev programs(Blender, substance painter, etc.) That i would like to be running at the same time as i don’t want to reboot ue4 at all times.

Greetings.

Hey CelPlays,

When the ram usage gets really high again, can you bring up the console in the editor with ~, then type memreport -full, and then send me the memreport in [ProjectName]/saved/Profiling/MemReports?

Thanks,

[link text][1]

Here it is. Culdn’t attach the file itself.
[1]: 36633-memreport.txt (1.84 MB)

Should have asked for all this at once, but can I also get your dxdiag info?

8-9GB of RAM usage is not unheard of in larger projects. Does it ever go past that though? How large is your project?

Hey there,

Right now i was on a new level with just a landscape that’s still flat. And my engine ran up so high it even crashed my Chrome.

The error i got now is:

Not sure if that’s related to the ram.
I’ve seen it to 9Gb once.

Kind regards,
Celeste

Hey Celeste,

So that crash occurred after you just let the editor keep taking up more memory? I’ll add this to the running bug report we have for this memory leak.

Can I also get some of the info I was asking about before?

Thanks,

Hi Celeste,

As there hasn’t been a response lately, we are marking this as answered for tracking purposes.

If you’d like to add more information, feel free to respond to this answer.

Hi ,

Where do I find the memory usage settings in UE4? I am in my level and want to check out how much RAM I am allowing it to use.

I am also curious to know of any suggestions for speeding up the processing time within my level as it is growing more developed and slowing down substantially. I am relatively new the whole process and have some asset groups that could probably be transformed into static meshes, but I’ve preferred leaving them as groups, as they are looking good now and I have had some less than par texture and lighting results when using both Blender and UE4’s automated UV map and lightmap settings.

LMK what you think!

Thanks,
Shira

Hi ShiraService,

You can display that data by enabling “Show Frame Rate and Memory” under Edit>EditorPreferences>General>Miscellaneous>Performance.

As far as optimization goes, we have quite a bit of documentation on that topic. Even some UE3 docs that still apply:

UDK | StatsDescriptions

If you’re curious about optimization, our community is actually really helpful on that topic. So check out the forums and feel free to ask questions.