Unreal Engine Marketplace has no formalized AI/Machine Learning Disclosure?

With the rise of “AI” Machine Learning being ubiquitous in many artistic disciplines the Unreal Engine Marketplace is being flooded with “AI” generated content(especially music it seems most obvious).

Many game stores(Steam) require disclosure of whether a game uses “AI” Machine Learning in any production of your game.

Can we PLEASE get a required checkbox for content creators on the Marketplace to disclose whether they have used “AI” or Machine Learning in the production of their content?

At this time I am required to stop purchasing ALL content on the Unreal Engine Marketplace because I can not be assured of their origin by real people rather than machines.

One Example of known “AI” Machine Learning created content with no disclosure anywhere on the market page where I had to go to the creator’s Youtube channel and ask them directly if they were using “generative AI” Machine Learning: JUPITER / Ethereal Galaxy Music in Music - UE Marketplace

I tried to find another way to get answers to this, but have not found any questions or answers anywhere regarding this topic. I considered that the Report function in the marketplace may have something suitable, but did not find anything there either.

hi all,
AI disclosure is NOT part of the EU Digital Services act and that traders will comply with this act.
Epic compiles with this act as is shown in
Marketplace Disclosure Requirements - Epic Games

Similar legislation applies in the USA.
New guidance from Epic
Introducing the NoAI and CreatedWithAI tags - Community / Marketplace - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

Further to this Fortnite has an article on Copyright compliance
[ARTICLE] Understanding Copyright and Trademark in UEFN Game Development - Community / Community & Industry Discussion - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

Fortnite has its own AI Music Generator Patchwork among many similar supporting groups
for example
Epic Musical Creation in Fortnite (toolify.ai)
The fact is as described in Copyright is that the content must be original and not in any part of a sampling system and that AI system must NOT sample other peoples work as thats a breach of Copyright.

My personal suggestion is that you go into the Marketplace and enter Questions section of the item on sale and ask them if they use AI to create the product.

In Marketplace and the upcoming FAB online selling system there are no places of tags for this information to be displayed.

From my experience they Epic will only do this if there is a legal requirement otherwise this will be a legal minefield

These are the requirements in EU Law as of June 2024 to describe if AI has been used to the creation of content.

For those interested here is the quote from EU trading law on use of AI

4.2. Digital sector
The Directive has a broad scope of application as it covers the totality of business-to-consumer transactions, whether offline or online. It is technology-neutral and applies regardless of the channel, medium or device used to implement a business-to-consumer commercial practice. It applies to online intermediaries, including social media, online market places and app stores, search engines, comparison tools (337) and various other traders operating in the digital sector.

The Directive applies also to practices and products that involve the use of technologies such as algorithms, automated decision-making and Artificial Intelligence (AI). This includes all business-to-consumer practices taken by traders

towards consumers in the advertising, sales and after-sales phases, such as the use of tracking and targeting technologies, algorithmic personalisation, dynamic optimisation and distributed ledger technologies.

C 526/86 Official Journal of the European Union 29.12.2021 EN
(334) Regulation (EC) No 66/2010.

(335) Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council, New Consumer Agenda: Strengthening

This post is not about the legality, this is about creators marking content in the Unreal Engine Marketplace as “AI” Machine Learning or not.

The legality of “AI” is not the question here. The problem is that many stores require you to mark your games as whether they have AI content in them in any way.

There is new guidance on AI from Epic
Introducing the NoAI and CreatedWithAI tags - Community / Marketplace - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

This is not NEW guidance. This is over a year old. The amount of Machine Learning content flooding the Marketplace is a problem that Epic needs to address otherwise their store will be unusable for developers.