Unreal Engine Livestream - Getting Started with Handheld AR - Nov 9 - Live from Epic HQ

Thursday, November 9th @ 2:00 PM ET is in two hours and ten minutes (and begins with a 5 minutes countdown, then a few minutes of community news, so you have a small buffer if you are late to the party)

Awesome!

Finally! AR SUPPORT!

QUESTION:
When is iOS microphone support coming to UE4? I’d like to talk with my ARKit creations. Thanks!

• Dave

I second this. Without the ability to pick up where I left off or automatically place objects based on a marker or 3d object detection that this is mostly a gimmick.

I have a few questions:

1. Any chance to access the light sensor in iOS? With the “ARKitExample” from Apple, if you turn the real lights off, the model’s light dims down. Any tips on doing this?
  2. On 4.17 & iOS 11 Beta, I could get “real time” lights and shadows on the AR by using “Cast Modulated Shadows”, but since the update to 4.18 + iOS 11 the shadows are really weird. Any ideas?
  3. Why is the pass through material red?

How do you get the ARSample to work in Portrait mode? When I attempt to do so, the camera looks very funky and fails

Is it currently possible to do iOS Remote somehow? The UDK Remote app currently doesn’t support iOS11.

Building to my iphone every time I need to test something in development is a non-starter. Iterating takes too long. Like if I can’t do this, I’m going to use Unity for this app I’m trying to launch in a couple months, no joke.

Portrait doesn’t work in 4.18 at all - it’s a known issue and it’s called out on the 4.18 release post specifically.

Thanks a lot!

So I have done some work in AR a few months ago :

but could find nothing on using the camera as a ambient light source. Is this feature present or will it be added in future updates?

Cheers

I’m trying to launch this on a Samsung Galaxy S8 (SM-G950F) but I’m not getting any feed from the camera. It’s just black. The rest is running though and the app detects hits according to the debug prints on the screen.
I’ve configured the Android SDK settings in UE4 and I’ve checked that the ARSample app on the phone has access to the camera in the settings.
Tried both launching from the editor as well as a packaged build.
Did anyone get this running on a Galaxy S8?

I was able to get the demo running on a Galaxy S8. I did have to manually install the arcore-preview.apk from this ARCore guide for my camera feed to start working.

Hi guys, what’s the state of image recognition?