Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0005 - 'REMOVED')

Hi
When I try to modify (as example, move it or rotate etc.) a 3D object in UE4 then the program crashes and I get this report:

MachineId:399129964B7619EA18727BAA30808D80
EpicAccountId:a25a4b96618b4cb6a94c3b47bd0605c0

Fatal error: [File:D:\Build\++UE4+Release-4.14+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 176] 
Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0005 - 'REMOVED')

UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\assertionmacros.cpp:332]
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!TerminateOnDeviceRemoved() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\d3d11util.cpp:176]
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!VerifyD3D11Result() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\d3d11util.cpp:225]
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!FD3D11Viewport::PresentChecked() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\d3d11viewport.cpp:275]
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!FD3D11Viewport::Present() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\d3d11viewport.cpp:458]
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!FD3D11DynamicRHI::RHIEndDrawingViewport() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\d3d11viewport.cpp:562]
UE4Editor_RHI!FRHICommandList::EndDrawingViewport() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\rhi\private\rhicommandlist.cpp:1347]
UE4Editor_SlateRHIRenderer!FSlateRHIRenderer::DrawWindow_RenderThread() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slaterhirenderer\private\slaterhirenderer.cpp:486]
UE4Editor_SlateRHIRenderer!TGraphTask<`FSlateRHIRenderer::DrawWindows_Private'::`35'::EURCMacro_SlateDrawWindowsCommand>::ExecuteTask() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\async\taskgraphinterfaces.h:868]
UE4Editor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async\taskgraph.cpp:932]
UE4Editor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async\taskgraph.cpp:679]
UE4Editor_RenderCore!RenderingThreadMain() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:320]
UE4Editor_RenderCore!FRenderingThread::Run() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:454]
UE4Editor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:74]

I have read about similar error (0x887A0006 and my error is 0x887A0005) and tried everything but nothing helped.

I’m adding also my DxDiag file.

Hi arc.lem,

We are aware of the d3d hung issue and have made ticket for all of the different cases: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-42280)

Look at the ticket for a small list of workarounds that may help the issue.

If you want a quick and easy workaround that seemed to help a lot of people do the following.

Open the editor, open the Content Browser, select View Options (eye icon bottom right), and uncheck Real-Time Thumbnails. This was provided by a user (IronicParadox)

If none of the suggested workarounds help that is the extent of what we can do for now. I apologize for the problems this is causing for your project.

Since this is still being reported in high frequency I will try to make a case to our staff to see if there is anything we can do for this situation. I can’t guarantee any fixes will be made soon though since this issue is difficult for us to reproduce and narrow down.

Regards,

Ed

Big . Since a while I didn’t get this error :slight_smile: I hope that I won’t get it any more.

Had this issue trying to play Fortnite on Windows 7, this is how I was able to resolve it.

I had a bit of a hard time with it and verifying did not do the trick, after some failed attempts of finding the solution I got tired and just did all I could think of to remedy the issue.

What worked for me was:

Changing the registry settings for the graphics adapter to cause it wait a bit longer before crashing in case the adapter was halted, these are the DWORDs I added:

Registry Path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers

DWORDs:

TdrDdiDelay=10
TdrDelay=10
TdrLevel=0
TdrLimitCount=10
TdrLimitTime=180

I then installed the latest DirectX driver from the microsoft update site for Windows 7.

Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36805 (KB2670838).

In retrospect, probably just installing the driver could have solved it, but since I had already made changes to the registry, I figured I’d just modify it with the available values.

Hope this helps someone.

Had this issue trying to play Fortnite on Windows 7, this is how I was able to resolve it.

I had a bit of a hard time with it and verifying did not do the trick, after some failed attempts of finding the solution I got tired and just did all I could think of to remedy the issue.

What worked for me was:

Changing the registry settings for the graphics adapter to cause it wait a bit longer before crashing in case the adapter was halted, these are the DWORD I added:

Registry Path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers

DWORD:

• TdrDdiDelay=10
  • TdrDelay=10
  • TdrLevel=0
  • TdrLimitCount=10
  • TdrLimitTime=180

I then installed the latest DirectX driver from the microsoft update site for Windows 7.

Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36805 (KB2670838).

In retrospect, probably just installing the driver could have solved it, but since I had already made changes to the registry, I figured I’d just modify it with the available values.

Hope this helps someone.