Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost AGAIN AND AGAIN

This worked for me as well, ironically i just bought a 4k monitor to have more space. Now the space is gone again :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

LowLevelFatalError [File:Unknown] [Line: 198] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0006 - ā€˜HUNGā€™)

Same issue, occurs for me mostly when roaming around a big scene on UE4.25, UE4.26 and UE5.0.
I tested ALL what is listed above, one by one and nothing worked.

What worked for me :
Lowering the clock speed of both the GPU and GPU Memory Clock (VRAM) by 100mhz and 200mhz respectively, via MSI afterburner as follows.

Specs :

• GTX 1080
  • i7-6700K
  • Windows 10 Version 21H1

It works, just manually increase the size of the unreal engine editor UI and make it full screen but the default full-screen mode will cause you the error

Nothing works. Not Tdr, neither underclocking, updating, verifying, forcing Nvidia to use the card with unreal.

Iā€™ve also switched to the Nvidia studio version instead of game ready,

Seems the newest Nvidia update made things worse. This is so annoying. I spent 5k on upgrading to a new system so that I can develop with better quality in UE only to have it perform worse.

So not sure what happened, maybe resizing the window did it, maybe it was turning off all antivirus or disabling and then re-enabling the graphics but itā€™s working now with no crashes.

1 Like

OK. Was experiencing multiple crashes again and noticed my antivirus was on.

After turning off anything related to windows antivirus software I am now able to work without D3D crashes.

Well. Back again.

Getting crashes and Iā€™m out of ideas.

GEFORCE Driver 511.65 seems to have broken my UE4

1 Like

Has exactly the same isue. The same message and I was starting the editor for the first time. Is your computer old??.
Mine is. I have upgradet it from windows 8.1 to 10. I want to get it working, so if you have solved it, then please answer this message.

442,74 driver nvidia fix this problem!!!

No its brand new.

Problem is resolved now. I really donā€™t know how it was fixed.

fatal error: [file:unknown] [line: 198] unreal engine is exiting due to d3d device being lost. (error: 0x887a0006 - ā€˜hungā€™

help me

442,74 driver nvidia fix this problem!!!

Problem is resolved now. I really donā€™t know how it was fixed.

This problem still occurs for me, with the lastest available Nvidia driver. None of the suggested workarounds have resolved the problem for me.

I had this issue for a while, and the the only thing that 100% fixed it is disabling ā€œmultipane overlayā€ in the registry.
ā€“Remember to RESTART your machine afterwards for the fix to workā€“

I originally found this fix here, which goes into more detail about whatā€™s happening.

This is the page on Nvidiaā€™s website where you can download the .reg registry file (mpo_disable.reg) along with another to restore it if needed.

The Nvidia page says it fixes another issue that I wasnā€™t experiencing, but disabling mpo fixed the D3D lost device issues. On another Nvidia forum page, someone else used the same fix to correct a weird youtube gpu bug as well, so it seems there are a lot of unrelated issues caused by the multipane overlay ā€œfeatureā€

In case the Nvidia link goes down or you donā€™t want to download the little .reg file, hereā€™s what it contains:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]
"OverlayTestMode"=dword:00000005

ā€“Remember to RESTART your machine afterwards for the fix to workā€“

You can either paste that into a text doc and rename the extension to .reg and run it or do it manually:

• Run the ā€œregeditā€ registry program
  • Navigate to ā€œHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwmā€
  • Right click and create a new DWORD (32-bit) value
  • Name the entry ā€œOverlayTestModeā€ and set its value to ā€œ5ā€
  • -Restart and it should be fixed-

Itā€™s the only thing that worked. Changing Tdr delay values, altering power savings modes in windows or geforce experience, working unmaximized, etc. never fully fixed the issue. After that I never encountered that crash again.

1 Like

Just wanted to say that plugging in an audio device may be the fix for some.

Whenever I have no audio device connected to the computer I get D3D crashes.

Plugging in my headphones or speakers solves it.

Iā€™ve built a new PC with the following specs:

• i7 10700 CPU,
  • GIGABYTE Z590 GAMING X motherboard,
  • 32 Gb RAM,
  • 256 Gb SSD + 1 Tb HDD,
  • GIGABYTE GTX 3050 videocard,
  • Windows 11 64-bit OS.

Iā€™ve noticed that any time Iā€™m trying to play any videogame, it works for a bit then crashes after about 10 minutes with a ā€œD3D device is lost [HUNG]ā€ error. This happened, so far, in Remnant: From the Ashes and Life is Strange: True Colors games, although my Blender also crashes when rendering. Iā€™ve googled and tried the following solutions the Internet suggested:

• update Windows,
  • update video drivers to the latest,
  • try playing with and without GeForce Experience,
  • set the game settings to minimal within GeForce Experience,
  • verify game files in Epic Games / Steam,
  • limit FPS in games to 30,
  • disable VSync in games,
  • disable antivirus while playing,
  • completely remove drivers with DDU then do a clean driver reinstall,
  • stop using Discord while playing,
  • stop using pretty much any additional software while playing,
  • check if the videocard is genuine using GPU-Z (it isnā€™t),
  • check if GPU temperature is stable using HWInfo while playing (it is, hotspot max temp is 72C),
  • edit a TdrDelay registry key with decimal values of 10 and lower.

Nothing of the above helped. Currently writing to NVIDIA tech support to see if they can do anything on their end.

You need to use the NVIDIA ā€˜Studio driversā€™ instead of the ā€˜Game Ready driversā€™. Everything works as expected if you switch to the Studio drivers. Had this frustrating issue for a very long time and now 0 issues.